Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently sold my lakey 5*3 for a vintage florida link 7*

The lakey was just too bright for me, and I for me the mouthpiece was impossible to control.

So, after playing this link for a while I realized that it may not be enough projection for marching band. The Lakey with the high baffle and small chamber provided a VERY loud sound for me.

Now I'm looking for different alternative mouthpieces to math the projection of the lakey but have a slightly darker sound. Maybe a lower baffle would do it.

But, I've played several meyers at the store when I was trading mouthpieces. And the smaller tipped meyers had a very focused sound, which I like for marching band. Now, Would this focused sound come through in larger tipped pieces where I could pull out more projection? I'm thinking of trying a 7m or en 8m.

Also, what are other alternatives to what I'm looking for?
just a quick list of what I think I want, I'll prioritize it as well.
1. LOUD
2. Focused sound
3. slightly darker then the Lakey 5*3 (high baffle small chamber) so probably a larger chamber or a lower baffle is what I should look for.
4. hard rubber would be prefered

So I'm pretty sure a meyer is what I should look for. But I'm just posting here to see if there are other alternatives to what I want. And I understand how mouthpieces are highly subjective, so please just post what YOU think would work best if you were in this situation.

Thanks a lot!
-John

·
Registered
815 Posts
what about a vintage short shank selmer soloist?

it is very FOCUS and loud for me

·
Registered
711 Posts
You could try a Morgan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
The new Vandoren HR V16 A7 S (S for small chamber). Affordable and easy to get hold of.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions!

I just googled all the pieces.

The RPC seems WAY too expensive for me. So I think I may have to pass on that one, as well as the selmer short shank.

The vandoren definately seems like a possibility though.
Also Docformat, which Morgan woudl you suggest I try. There seems to be several models listen for alto on Junkdude.

Thanks for the suggestions though! I think I'm going to try out the morgan, the meyer and the vandoren.

Any more suggestions would also be welcome.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Used the search button. Other options are a Beechler small chamber such as S6S, Runyon Custom Spoiler, Vandoren V16 A7S or A8S, etc, etc.

·
Registered
239 Posts
:cool: The description of what you want in a mouthpiece, is a very accurate description of the Morgan Jazz model. I play a Morgan Jazz 8M on my Alto and have not had a GAS attack since I got it.:) :cool:

·
1,247 Posts
Comparing Runyon Custom and Vandoren V16

This afternoon I compared a Runyon Custom #7 and Vandoren V16 A7S on my Vito (Beaugnier). What I found is that the Vandoren had a sharper sound, more "wood-like" More "dry". The Runyon had a warmer sound with a nice, "elastic" buzz. The loudness of the two pieces was equal.
Very important is the ability to play in tune, which like tone depends on the brand of sax.
Both pieces played well in tune, even if it was clearly easier with the Vandoren . The Vandoren had to be placed in the middle of the cork to hit A=440, while the Runyon had to be pushed in almost to the brass.
I have tried several different brands of reeds and found that Vandoren Java and V16, 2.5 - 3 work well with both pieces.
The Runyon is cheaper, and if you buy it with the spoiler, you have the possibility to make it louder and more sharp. I bought my two pieces from www.sax-plus.com. Runyon can also be found at www.smartwoodwinds.com
Be prepared to need a better ligature than the stock lig they come with. Rovner 1R (for clarinet) will fit.
To conclude this long "good advice": Only you can decide what is optimal for you on your saxophone. (I still prefer my Morgan on my King Marigaux). Good luck.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Vandoren Java or Selmer Super Session (Java is a bit darker) if moneys a problem.

But Grumps mentioned the best...:)

Or if you want the loudest mouthpiece in the world see if you can get a 105B rpc :) Large enough tip for you?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, thanks for all these replies!

I did forget to mention that price is a bit of an issue I'm willing to go up to about 120 dollars. !00 dollars of less woudl be optimal. I'll also be sure to check out the super session. That runyon also seems like a pretty special deal! I think I'll also check out the morgan jazz

It seems like I have a lot of testing to do before marching season!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be testing mouthpieces for quite a bit.

If I still can't find what I'm looking for then I'll be sure to come back here for more suggestions :)

Psh 105! thats pathetic! I'm a manly man! I play on .250s!
;)

·
1,247 Posts
Vandoren V16 and La Voz

Note added:
With La Voz medium, the V16 loses its sharpness and sounds very similar to the Runyon Custom.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Try a Morgan Jazz. That's my favorite HR piece ever. The Excalibur is nice too but on the brighter side which is not what you're looking for.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts