Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
except for the Gaia and some other model from Theo Wanne,
what are the other large chambered alto mouthpieces of current production?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Jody Jazz also makes some, as witness my bass sax piece.

(I take "large chamber" to mean "equal or larger diameter than the bore where it goes on the cork".)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. :)

Someone experienced that a large chambered mouthpiece need to be more pushed into the cork
than a medium chamber mouthpiece to play with the same intonation?

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Thanks guys. :)

Someone experienced that a large chambered mouthpiece need to be more pushed into the cork
than a medium chamber mouthpiece to play with the same intonation?
In most cases, yes.

But - pay attention! - the distance from the end of the mouthpiece shank to the end of the cork, only tells you how long the manufacturer made the shank. If you are assessing how far the piece has to go on (the technical term would be "sounding length"), you have to measure from the tip of the mouthpiece to some fixed feature (like, the end of the cork, or the octave pip).

In my experience, older instruments often work better with a larger chamber mouthpiece, set for a shorter sounding length. The most dramatic experience I"ve had with that was on my Conn baritone where the new piece had a sounding length about 1" shorter than the old one (this is a LOT), and the notoriously sharp middle E and F suddenly came into tune, and all the altissimo notes suddenly became easily accessible with good intonation, and the tendency to squeak on upper register notes when playing loudly suddenly disappeared. I have experienced less dramatic versions of this on soprano alto tenor and bass saxophones as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts