Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating a transition to another job. I'm curious to learn about the locale's culture, weather, economics, etc. from someone who has lived there recently.

Thanks.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
I haven't been to Laramie in about 20 years, so I'm not much help -- but if you DO move there, we'll be neighbors, in the western sense: you'll be less than 2000 miles away!

drop by any time, now, y'all, you hear?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've never lived in Laramie, so I can't help much, but I have spent about 3 three weeks there over the past couple of years on business. With that limitation in mind, here's my thoughts. First, it's definitely a small town. I recall a movie theater downtown, with one or two screens, and I think it's a first-run theater. There's most of the typical chain stores, like Wal-Mart, Pizza Hut etc. No malls that I can recall seeing...probably a good thing.

Downtown is the most interesting place, with lots of old buildings and character. Some coffee shops, diners, a couple of book stores, etc. This area is several blocks long and about 4 blocks wide, so there's much more going on than in the average smalltown downtown. There are some really good local restaurants, one of them I think is called Altitude, and it might be your best bet for a good glass of wine or a nice meal. Nearby is the Buckhorn saloon, a bar which is actually on the National register of historic places. It's a relic of the Old West.

I don't know anything about the music scene, or about CD shops or music stores. I've probably only seen about half of the city in my travels, though. Denver is about 3-4 hours away in good weather. Cheyenne is a couple of hours. For me, living in the eastern US, I felt kind of isolated there. But I thought the city was interesting, and the people were friendly.

I hope someone with better knowledge will post a reply. Where are you living now, and what are your interests?

Best Wishes,

Matt

·
5,076 Posts
Swampcabbage said:
I was there 20 years ago and they had a record store then.
Hey, you and I must have been there on the same day! You aren't the guy who beat me senseless, stole my Diner's Club card, and threw my lifeless body in the reservoir, are you?

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
This interests me. As someone who was born and raise in NJ, and lived for a few years in PA before coming back, I tire of the increasing population, traffic, taxes, congestion etc. Have thought of moving, but there are many concerns, not least of which are my 4 children (6-13) and employment. I have it pretty good at the moment.

Interested in alternative locations though. ;)

Dr. G... good luck with the change, if you make it.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
Long winters, predominately republican, and a ghost town in the summer when the univ. closes. On the Forbes list as the best place to be from.
Does not make the cities list in the world almanac.

If you can read this I am not on your ignore list. :D

·
5,076 Posts
That was pretty much my impression too, though from long ago. A friend of mine went there for a wedding a couple of summers ago and said the town was seriously dead right then. . . .

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Hey, you and I must have been there on the same day! You aren't the guy who beat me senseless, stole my Diner's Club card, and threw my lifeless body in the reservoir, are you?
Geez sorry 'bout that, if I had know it was you... Well, who loves ya baby? ;)

It was actually more like 22 years ago for me. Very bizarre journey for me. I was just a wee lad at the time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,023 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Hmm, that was your card huh? You owe me money.

I tried to use it and they made me pay up the balance first! I'll wait for you around the corner, over there in the shadow...:twisted:

I was there 20+ years ago too. If you don't like isolation, don't go. You'll need at least one good 4x4 in the garage if you do move there and block heaters in all your cars.

No ideas on the cultural scene, but I'd wager if there was one it'd be pretty small. Might be good, but not much depth.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Weather: really windy....all the time. Seriously. Drives some people crazy, others could care less, but no joke, it is blows hard and non-stop.

I didn't mind it, but I was only there for a few weeks.

·
5,076 Posts
Carl H. said:
Hmm, that was your card huh? You owe me money.

I tried to use it and they made me pay up the balance first! I'll wait for you around the corner, over there in the shadow...:twisted:

I was there 20+ years ago too. If you don't like isolation, don't go. You'll need at least one good 4x4 in the garage if you do move there and block heaters in all your cars.

No ideas on the cultural scene, but I'd wager if there was one it'd be pretty small. Might be good, but not much depth.
Oh, it was YOU. Hmm. I wondered why my credit rating improved there. . . . :shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Bill Mecca said:
I tire of the increasing population, traffic, taxes, congestion etc.
No one will ever convince the people of Wyoming that overpopulation is a threat to the world. The last time I drove across eastern Wyoming in the middle of the night we met one car in two hours.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was there in 92' during a cross country drive from NY. I spent a few nights there. Mind you, this was before the prolifeartion of the internet but at the local "club" the young people looked they just stepped out of 1981. It was an eye opener for me. Friendly enough folks though.

·
5,076 Posts
Apologies to the people of Wyoming and other vast empty portions of the intermountain west, but: there's also serious weirdness out in them there hills. When I used to live in Oregon, there were many strange enclaves in the emptiness of the eastern side of the state; likewise Idaho, Utah, and Montana. Many good things, good folks, good times. But. . . .:shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,023 Posts
My most vivid Wy memory was driving cross state when the speed limit was 55. I was doing 80 when I saw a patrol car come flying up in my rear view window. It passed me like I was sitting still!

end of story

I'd go for the job, but I like having space.

·
Administrator Emeritus
2,879 Posts
Being from Wyoming originally....

Laramie's in the middle of a desert that happens to be in the middle of the mountains. It gets warm during the summer, but doesn't pass triple digits very frequently (once or twice per summer). During the winter it's cold. Not just cold, really cold. Really fn cold. Economy is so-so. Not great, but not terrible. There's a plethora of mechanics, oil rig workers, railroaders, etc. Wyoming is typically about five to ten years behind everyone else in technology. Real estate development is big here, because there's so much open space. I've known several people that have made fairly sizable fortunes by buying a huge amount of land and developing it.

Fort Collins CO is about 90 mins south of Laramie on US287. Cheyenne is about an hour east on I80. Denver is 2.5 hours either way you go.

Technically, Wyoming just barely met the population requirements to be a state. If memory serves, when they were granting statehood in the 19th century, your territory had to have 500,000 people the qualify for statehood. Current population is around 515,000. Two biggest cities are Cheyenne (~50,000), and Casper (~50,000). There are towns here that have a population of 8. Seriously. Drove through it once. On the way back I blinked and missed it. When applying for statehood, once we were notified that we didn't have enough people.... we counted our cattle. Seriously.

I believe Wyoming is the only state that has an official state soil as well (Forkwood).

Still shoot me a PM or email.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all - for the comic relief as well as the information.

I currently live in the high desert of northern New Mexico. My interest in Wyoming is driven an opportunity at the university. I guess I need to make a visit or two.

The university's website makes a great presentation of their cultural opportunities as well as outdoor life. I lived in Pocatello, ID, in a former lifetime (as an instructor at the USN nuclear power prototype) and enjoyed that area. Decades later, I, too, have a family to consider so I need to be aware of the amenities beyond pizza and reeds (and I tend to buy reeds over the internet anyhow). Hmmm, a decent brewpub would be nice. Housing certainly seems more affordable...

Thanks again for your considered input. Interesting that no one responding to this thread is on my ignore list. I feel like I'm among friends. Shucks. ;)

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I'll say this for Wyoming. It's got some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen. Drove through there just over a month ago.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts