Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my laptop kicked the bucket again. i'm looking in to buying a toshiba tough book beauces of my compulsive clumsiness. I intend to use my new laptop for recording practiceing and evaluating myslef, trascription, BIAB, and playalongs.

i read another forum post where someone said that inorder to have BIAB sound awsome I would need to have a better sound card because all computers come with a sound card that isn't good eoungh to create realistic sounding MIDI stuff.

can anyone advise me on buying a sound card upgrade or a diffrent laptop that already has an awsome card in it.

and please i have been using a PC since before it was MS DOS i dont want a mac

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
If it's midi output you want then you can buy a USB to midi adaptor
from Yamaha.

The midi sounds will be generated in the instrument that you midi into,
so the quality of the laptop sound card is not an issue.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so in order to get BIAB to sound more realistic i would need to buy this cable adapter, and a key board? or is there an alternative that is portable and i could take from my appartment to the practice room

·
3,494 Posts
so in order to get BIAB to sound more realistic i would need to buy this cable adapter, and a key board? or is there an alternative that is portable and i could take from my appartment to the practice room
You mentioned MIDI. I assumed you were going from the PC to a MIDI
instrument.

Some laptops come with an HDMI port. This could suit your needs.

Check out these....
http://www.gigasonic.com/cat-pcmcia-audio-interfaces.htm

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Honestly i'm like most people when i mention MIDI, I have no idea what im talking about.
so if for example i bought this, Echo Indigo DJ Dual Stereo 24/96 Laptop Cardbus, i would plug it in to my laptop and theni plug my headphone/speakers into it and BIAB would sound more life like?

and would it improve the play back of my recording? all I'm looking for in recording myself is to self evaluate my playing

something that would be valuable would be being able to record myslef and BIAB so that i can hear what my solo sounds like with accompaniment. but i could probly do that by using speakers and recoring the entire sonic enviroonment as one track

·
3,494 Posts
I think you wll find most soundcards will require the use of an
external amplifier between the card and the speakers.

Headphones will usually work direct.

For what you have described, I'm sure the built in sound, supplied with
most laptops, will be okay.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you

·
1,001 Posts
I don't think you want to use MIDI. That is a code by which one computer tells another computer to play music. Each computer must already have within it a generator for the insturmental sound the MIDI code calls for. This has nothing to do with recording your sound.

I use a mic designed to input sound through a USB port. The brand I have is Samson and it was availabel at a Best Buy store. It came with a CD containing drivers and recording software. I use a cheap Toshiba laptop with its original sound card. It is fine. (Review my examples on the soundclick web site referenced in my signature.

The files produced by each recording are digital audio files in the .wav format which is a general audio file that any computer can play and faithfully reproduce the sound. The software that came with the mic enabled me to convert these to .MP3 format with a lower resolution but a much smaller size (about 1/5 the size) which are required for posting to soundclick. I have listened to all formats of the recorded files and am convinced my setup gives a good representation of my sound in a typical recording environment. That is the environment is moderately "live" and the cardiod mic pics up only the sonds it needs to pick up. I play pre-recorded music on my synth through speakers near the mic at the same time I play the horns near it. This took some work to find the right balance but it worked and shows you don't need fancy mixers and amplifiers.

I admit when I shop for a new computer (this was a minimal Christnas Special), I will look for one with a high quality sound card. I did not foresee this use of the computer. But the setup I have works fine and keeps me as busy as I want to be with this new challenge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts