Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
This doesn't pass the laugh test...
No. It doesn't pass the "scam" test. I'm sorry, but there is simply not enough evidence here for you to label this auction as a scam. Yes, it's a first time seller and it reads "stock" next to the photo, but they didn't appear to join solely to set up the listing in question... and most importantly, most scams are for top dollar items selling at a discount; not bottom end material. Did you contact the seller for more information prior to your indictment? Did you ask about additional pictures?

I've bought from first time sellers before. You just have to be very careful, know the ins and outs of Ebay, insist upon open communication prior to making any bid and use a payment method that allows you some sort of redress should the item never arrive.

You should probably ask a moderator to delete this one, as if I were the seller in question I would report YOU to Ebay for violating their rules and possible defamation (if you are in fact a member).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did request additional info... The notion that a buyer with 4914 transactions would bid a common selling price for this model horn is just really farfetched... Yes Grumps I semi-regularly buy from eBay and deal with first timers also...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
The notion that a buyer with 4914 transactions would bid a common selling price for this model horn is just really farfetched...
Plenty of experienced Ebayers place initial low bids on items that others might shy away from. I still don't see what you're getting at, and again would recommend that you have this thread deleted.

·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a logician Grumps, can you not see the 'probability' that this 4914 transaction 'eBayer' could be a 'ringer' so that any higher bid is a 'go' for the seller... $200 is not necessarily a low starting bid for a Vito 37, and showing 'bare RH bell', these early Vito horns don't go for much more than that on eBay... I have bought a few in the last 6 mos for $50, $145 etc... This early relatively 'high' starting bid is what gave me pause...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
200 seems to be the stock scam starting price these days...there were all those mark 6s in england just recently

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
As a logician Grumps, can you not see the 'probability' that this 4914 transaction 'eBayer' could be a 'ringer' so that any higher bid is a 'go' for the seller... $200 is not necessarily a low starting bid for a Vito 37, and showing 'bare RH bell', these early Vito horns don't go for much more than that on eBay... I have bought a few in the last 6 mos for $50, $145 etc... This early relatively 'high' starting bid is what gave me pause...
I don't know if the listing changed since you first posted it, but when I look at it there are "0 bids".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I don't know if the listing changed since you first posted it, but when I look at it there are "0 bids".
I clicked on the bid history and got this:

Bidder Action / Explanation Date of Bid and Retraction
Bidder l***wFeedback score is 1000 to 4,999 Retracted: US $200.00
Explanation: Entered wrong amount Bid: Mar-27-11 16:38:14 PDT
Retracted: Mar-28-11 12:00:14 PDT

·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yessiree, There was a bid.. and now there are none! This morning 1 bidder was listed that had 4914 transactions... Now... NO bidders... This gets interestinger and interestinger! I messaged the seller this morning and informed him/her that I intended to post the auction to a saxophone forum... Hmmm... I can't savvy ( That's Texas vernacular! ) why Grumps twice suggested that I have this thread deleted... Grumps! Are you the designated skeptic here on SOTW and no others need apply?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Too me it just looks like someone who's trying to get rid of a sax they don't use anymore. The price isn't that outrageous. I've seen more experienced sellers list C-Mels for a thousand dollars because they assume and old and pretty horn must be worth that. If they had it "replugged" (repaded) $350 seems fair for a decent playable sax. Just because someone played sax doesn't mean they know all the technical terms of parts or repair procedures. Maybe it's a mom selling her kids sax they don't use anymore. I would be not be that leery of a first time seller, but made sure it was covered under PayPal's protection program.

Also, I would ask for real photos and not trust a stock picture. That would be the most troubling thing to me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't really see how this is a scam. Someone probably just doesn't play the sax anymore so they figured opening an eBay account would be the quickest way to get rid of it. Then instead of taking the pics themselves they figured they would just look up the model on Google and post that. I understand its a stock photo and a first time seller, but if a scammer was going to post a scam I don't think they'd put up a student model and post it for higher than most people will pay for it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I still browse the bay. I'm really leery of buying there but who knows, something may pop up. There is one strange one in the alto's section. $1999.99 for what appears to be a student horn - a Bundy perhaps. There's no info about model or brand or S/N. Only a real long story about how the seller(s) are a group making their living selling on the bay. Also included with the sax is the "head." The neck, I suppose. Search for that one. Its interesting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts