Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm playing a low A Yanagisawa bari, currently with its original mpc (5) that I'm not happy with at all. Mostly I play bigband, funk and R&B and would like to be able to roar and play soft ballads as well - I really like the sounds of guys like Doug James and Greg Smith.

Lambersons seem to offer the qualities that I'm looking for but are way too expensive for me.

Then I almost decided on a Berg Larsen 105/0M or 105/1M HR mpc. until I read about their poor quality, at least of their mpcs. made a couple of years back. (Anyone knows if they're safe to buy now?)

Could anyone recommend a mpc. similar to the Lambersons that would go well with a Yanagisawa low A? (I don't like to play metal mpcs.)

Any advise will be MUCH appreciated:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,057 Posts
Either buy a Berg and get it refaced or get a Lamberson. I've two friends that play Fred's 7SB on their B-992 (yes, they each have a 992). Very versatile, great sound. They play the same setup for everything from classical quartet to contemporary big band. Did I say "versatile"?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Curious what you have against metal mouthpieces. The Lamberson are very streamlined in the beak and 'feel' just like metal mouthpieces IMHO.

I play a Yani B991 and use a Yani metal mouthpiece. These are very high quality and I have tried several that play well out of the box. I have heard that they are very consistent and the the chamber and throat design is very similar to Berg...somewhat of a cross between a /1 and a /2. Quite different than the HR pieces.

You can buy these from WW&BW, have a very high probability of having it play well, and return it if you don't like it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dr G and shmuelyosef.

Most metals give me rashes, that's why I'll have to settle with HR:-( From you info, I guess that HR Yani #7 or #9 would not be much better than #5(?)

I'm afraid that I cannot afford a Lamberson, and I never heard about anyone doing refacing in Denmark where I live. So I'm still a bit afraid of buying B.L.

Thanks again!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,057 Posts
There are some great refacers at SotW. I'd suggest that if you choose not to buy a Lamberson, talk with EZ Sax or MojoBari and arrange to buy and ship a mouthpiece directly to them for modification.

On the other hand, a Lamberson is not so expensive if playing one keeps you from needing to buy any more mouthpieces. ;)

Similarly, if you can find a Barone Hollywood bari 'piece.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,871 Posts
That's funny....Theo Wanne used to rave about the Yani baritone mouthpieces...he'd refuse to work on them, saying they didn't need anything.

Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
I use the Yani metal baritone and the silver plating is very heavy and nice...allergy to silver is rare (hence...silverware!!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again, guys. Maybe my Yani mouthpiece is just a bad specimen. Everybody who tried it says it's no good. I never thought of Vandoren as a possibility because I associate it with classical music from when I used to play one for classical on the clarinet - and I certainly don't want to sound anything like classical on the bari. Will try to find one and check it out, though. Thanks.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,876 Posts
MissBari said:
Thanks again, guys. Maybe my Yani mouthpiece is just a bad specimen. Everybody who tried it says it's no good. I never thought of Vandoren as a possibility because I associate it with classical music from when I used to play one for classical on the clarinet - and I certainly don't want to sound anything like classical on the bari. Will try to find one and check it out, though. Thanks.
They probably don't like it because it's a #5 tip. Try a 7 or 9 on the bari.

I'll also chime in on recommending a Vandoren B75. I've been using them for 15 years now for all of my bari playing (except classical). There are some clips on my website, if you want to get an idea of how a piece like that can sound.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I play a Yanagisawa bari, mostly funk or modern big band.

I've had great success with the Lawton hr pieces, had a 7B as my favorite piece for many years. The Lawton metal are also very good but I feel that I get a bit more core and buzz from the hr pieces.

Recently I got myself a RPC 130B, the high baffle model. It's a great mouthpiece, like my old Lawton but with "extra everything". It can whisper (well, good enough...) and there's really no limit how much you can push it.

Both Lawtons and RPCs are quite expensive and can be hard to get. So if you want a quick less expensive solution I'd recommend you to try the Yanagisawa metal or explore the different Berg Larsen models.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
MissBari -

You have good taste! Doug James is a friend of mine and in addition to being a great player, he is a good teacher and a good guy.

Doug used a RPC with a Fibracell reed for several years (on a King Super 20 bari). I'm not sure of the tip opening, but the chamber of the piece was identical to what Ron now sells as the 110R. Presently, Doug is using a Bronze Berg that Doc Tenney did (on a Keilwerth SX-90 low A bari). Again, I don't know the tip opening and he is using cane reeds again. He has also used a BARI Associates metal, various Links and probably a Meyer over the years.

You've gotten some good advice above. I love Doug's sound too and I find the Lamberson 7M , an RPC 110R and a Meyer 9 (LaVoz medium on a '53 "The Martin") to get me as close as I'm likely to get. Frankly, it is more important to listen to Doug and the guys he admires, particularly Leo Parker and Heywood Henry (who played the solo on Joe Turner's "Shake, Rattle and Roll"), to get that sound in your head. Then it will come out of the horn.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I have a Lamberson 7SB and yes it is a very nice bari mpc, lthough I would not play it in a classical quartet. Good for jazz/pop/funk etc. I use it on an old Yani stencil bari.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts