Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've had my tenor delacquered and I thought I'd share some pics with members. This is the second time for me. My first job was done in Victoria, BC. Cost me 30 bucks. I asked for sand blasting and the person thought glass beading would be gentler. The sax came out well, altho' the colour wasn't so pretty. I sprayed it with clear lacquer to protect the finish, and have used it for the last 3 yrs. It still looks about the same as when the beading was done.
This time, done closer to home, right here in Salmon Arm, the job was better. The stripping was done with soda, then water-glass beading to shine it more. The inside of the sax looks new.
Please let me know if the pics are OK. From my side, they are terribly magnified. Dunno why.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,910 Posts
Pictures look nice. Only one out of focus. What treatment or finish on the keys?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much. It's a relief! My pictures are ridiculously distorted, coming out magnified by 10.
I haven't, and won't, touch the key work.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Pretty interesting. What model horn is this? I'd like to see what it looks like assembled. Did you notice any affect on the sound?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Stripped Lacquer Sax Finish

Posted some pics yesterday, but in the wrong sub-forum, so here goes again.
I wanted to remove the spotty lacquer from my oldest Bundy. I had this done once before on my second oldest B1, in Victoria, at a shop called "Blast it". I asked for the sax to be sandblasted. The owner-operator had never done a saxophone before, but thought glass beading would be more gentle. The job cost me $30.00. It came out looking like flat brass. Not pretty, but wth. The finish was very easily smudged, from skin oil. I sprayed the horn with clear lacquer and it's been fine for 4 years now.
My latest endeavour was accomplished right here in Salmon Arm. Again, the owner-operator had never done a sax. He used a soda spray, (extremely gentle), then a second treatment with water-glass beading. The finish is similar to #1 B1 but shinier, with a kind of sparkle.
One unexpected plus was that the inside of the stack and bell is like new.
After seeing some sax art work, I thought I might do something different, (like a new colour or something), but now I'm undecided. The sax will look pretty nice once the key work is back in place.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Your tone holes also got blasted, making them rather rough. Gonna file them before reassembly? Looks like the inside got blasted too. What was the point of this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,948 Posts
Hi. I've had my tenor delacquered and I thought I'd share some pics with members. This is the second time for me. My first job was done in Victoria, BC. Cost me 30 bucks. I asked for sand blasting and the person thought glass beading would be gentler. The sax came out well, altho' the colour wasn't so pretty. I sprayed it with clear lacquer to protect the finish, and have used it for the last 3 yrs. It still looks about the same as when the beading was done.
This time, done closer to home, right here in Salmon Arm, the job was better. The stripping was done with soda, then water-glass beading to shine it more. The inside of the sax looks new.
Please let me know if the pics are OK. From my side, they are terribly magnified. Dunno why.
I'd be interested in seeing your other horn, the one you spray-lacquered. Can you post a pic of that one as well ? Thx...

Looks like a Bundy I, yes ?

As far as this one, looks like a nice job by the sandblaster.....

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Re: My Stripped Lacquer Sax Finish

It could look cool if certain areas were masked and left polished brass against the frosty background. The key work will probably look pretty cool on there.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts

I have removed lacquer and achieved a somewhat similar finish using a 3M fine abrasive wheel. I think I like the sand/bead blasted finish even better. For my tasted I really like polished keys and polished bell to provide some contrast. Another option I have experimented with is to "age" the brass using a patina chemical. The keys shown were treated with B/Ox 313 from EPI.

View attachment 225702 View attachment 225704 View attachment 225706

·
Administrator
17,248 Posts

Posted some pics yesterday, but in the wrong sub-forum, so here goes again.
I merged both threads.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd be interested in seeing your other horn, the one you spray-lacquered. Can you post a pic of that one as well ? Thx...

Looks like a Bundy I, yes ?

As far as this one, looks like a nice job by the sandblaster.....
For a look at my first effort. see in For Sale, Bundy One Tenor.
The latest one is also a Bundy 0ne.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your tone holes also got blasted, making them rather rough. Gonna file them before reassembly? Looks like the inside got blasted too. What was the point of this?
I had no problems with the tone holes on my last venture. My tech had no problems setting it up, after I did the repad. The horn was tweaked before last Christmas and is still playing well. I don't expect anything different this time, as the treatment was very gentle, using a soda blast.
As for the inside, it is clean as a whistle. Isn't that what an acid bath is for? When I get it going again, I'll test it out and report back.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Bruce! Please tell me what number of paper to use, and the kind of polish.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I had no problems with the tone holes on my last venture. My tech had no problems setting it up, after I did the repad. The horn was tweaked before last Christmas and is still playing well. I don't expect anything different this time, as the treatment was very gentle, using a soda blast.
As for the inside, it is clean as a whistle. Isn't that what an acid bath is for? When I get it going again, I'll test it out and report back.
Good luck with your venture. Looks cool.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Thanks, Bruce! Please tell me what number of paper to use, and the kind of polish.
Start with about #800 black emery paper (black) from a hardware store and graduate to about #1500. Then polish with Wenol (red box on ebay) or a similar Maas or any tube pink paste polish.
Here is a soprano that I did that had bad silver plating. It is the one on the left where there is a real gold wash on the right.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/tags/bell/

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, Bruce. Your examples got me excited. Can’t wait to get started. I’ve ordered the polish.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts