Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kinda dropped the idea of getting a black tenor (at least for the moment), and thought of maybe getting a cheaper, lacquer less horn. I'm going to the music store in a little while to test out some used saxes. So my question is, what should I look for?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
My advice would be to look for good pad-seal, good tone, good intonation, good response, good ergonomics, and a good price. Forget about the horn's finish. DAVE

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,895 Posts
Without lacquer, the horn may end up looking rather nasty after a while. You wouldn't buy a car with bare metal finish. Well I wouldn't anyway. I would get a lacquered or silver plate saxophone, much nicer IMO.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Like a Delorean, a bare sax will tarnish after time and look.....well it really does not matter. Look for a horn that plays GREAT and is in sound mechanical shape. It's all about the SOUND.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave Dolson said:
My advice would be to look for good pad-seal, good tone, good intonation, good response, good ergonomics, and a good price. Forget about the horn's finish. DAVE
I know, I just asked...

You're right Pete. I'll just get a black plated one instead. Thanks, though.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
llamaSax said:
I kinda dropped the idea of getting a black tenor (at least for the moment), and thought of maybe getting a cheaper, lacquer less horn. I'm going to the music store in a little while to test out some used saxes. So my question is, what should I look for?
I'm starting to sell some really exceptional Taiwanese horns for much less than my soon to be competitors and I have a lacquerless one on order. I also have a gold-plated one and two saxwello's on order, black with silver keys and they all go up to high G. Anyone? Phil

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Look in a museum to see how unlacquered instruents turn a very dark brown over time (decades, yes, but the process begins when new). As for black, they look great, but they may not be accepted in some bands where uniformity of appearance is required.

If neither of these thoughts turn you off, go for it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts