Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
So, if I get it right, brass under lacquer was preserved much better than bare brass parts? Right? Therefore lacquered parts are "higher" and bare brass parts were "eaten". So if brass becomes unprotected without lacquer, why then you need to strip the horn to preserve it? Isn't it better to just spot lacquer those bare brass parts to preserve it? I'm kinda lost here :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks for your answer. Very interesting. Something new to me, so I have a question in this regard.
My SBA is an original lacquer and in pristine condition, but has a corrosion around low Eb keycup. I was told by a tech not to worry about it, as the corrosion itself is like a "barrier" and it's protecting the brass underneath. I'm posting some zoomed pictures, it looks much less actually in reality. I would appreciate your input on it, should I do anything to it or leave it as is?
Thanks!

no you got it partially right.

What happens is that when 2 different electronic potential parts are on the same surface pitting occurs. I you have 100% lacquer there's wear on the lacquer. But if you have an open pore on the protective coating, that part on the substrate gets destructively eaten way faster than bare subtrate exposed to the elements and not buffed.

I've lived most of my life in coastal enviroments (cities by the sea and by big rivers) and the most stable finish is no finish at all.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My pads are really good, like new with 95% life in it.... I will have this SBA forever, but to strip such original horn would be very hard for me. Is there anything else I can do about that spot?

they're worse than laquered horns.

leave it as is for the time being.

ADD: if that was my horn and I'd intend to keep it for more than 10 years I'd delacquer it, but I don't know how old your pads are

·
Registered
433 Posts
This is just to show the original condition of the sax. I'm sure you are with me that it's gonna be very hard decision if it must be stripped...

p.s. Sorry for hijacking your thread. I can start another one, but it looks like we talking same issues

·
Registered
433 Posts
Most likely what's causing that spot is the removabell. My bet's it's not that well glued, and the metal is touching like on an intermitent shortcircuit. That's why the pitting is only there. That and the saliva acting as a permanent humid and salty and acid media right there. I'd solder the bell, remove the pitting... t's going to be a nasty view, how a horn so otherwise nice has that amount of pitting... most likely it's going to need sanding (even filing maybe) to get a good surface then buff then either wax it or touch up the lacquer there after you soldered the bell on.
I think this might be a great guess!!! It looks like corrosion goes from spot under removabell ring, right in the middle! However only one thing that may not go with this theory is that corrosion goes only to the left side of the tone hole, and right side is clean and not affected. If it would be from a leak from under the rim on removabell I guess the corrosion would spread to both sides, but I might be wrong...
Here's the pictures of both sides...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Looks to me like it's the result of condensation accumulating when the horn is put in its case and the case is put away. That's why I store my horns on end - any accumulation of moisture collects in the bottom of the bell rather than the Eb key. Ever notice a lot of moisture/staining on that pad? Sticky pad? If not you, then the previous owner.
Yes DrG, thats exactly what one repairman told me why there is a corrosion. And yes that key is the dirtiest of them all on my sax....
So I also been told by same repairman not to worry about it, and leave it as is, not to clean or buff it, and just to be more careful about storing the sax and not to let it sit at an angle when all the condensation will go to Eb key.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks everyone for their info. Thank you Jiciano, I think you are 100% nailed it, yes, I didnt think about holding horn to the right, there for only left side of tone hole affected! Now it makes sense.
What would be your advice to do next? To go to repair shop open removabell and reattach it again? After that leave it as is, and because no additional leak means no additional corrosion? Or clean that corrosion and maybe spot lacquer that part? Also do you think I need to take care of that immediately or it's not such an emergency?
Thank you!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd have the bell SOLDERED not glued, the corrosion removed and the lacquer touched up since your horn is so nice. I wouldn't say this is an "emergency" but it's certainly nothing to dwell on.
... and dry the bore before you put the horn away. ... and apply the occasional coat of Meguiars.

That is a sweet lookin' horn. Enjoy.
Thanks!!!! I appreciate your input and info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts