Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a YAS 32 (European YAS 52) and it plays good but I noticed some places where the lacquer is darker and sometimes I can see what appears to be finger prints that won’t wipe off. The laquer is still smooth and doesn’t feel any different but it certainly looks different and it bothers me a little. What could be causing this so it doesn’t spread? Thanks!

Here is a picture, I noticed if I shine a direct light on it it’s very hard to see...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a YAS 32 (European YAS 52) and it plays good but I noticed some places where the lacquer is darker and sometimes I can see what appears to be finger prints that won’t wipe off. The laquer is still smooth and doesn’t feel any different but it certainly looks different and it bothers me a little. What could be causing this so it doesn’t spread? Thanks!

Here is a picture, I noticed if I shine a direct light on it it’s very hard to see...
View attachment 220184

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,199 Posts
Lacquer has a colour added to it. I think that is just where the colour has been a bit more concentrated. Maybe an extra bit of spray. Nothing you can do about it, but it won't spread.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,983 Posts
Yup, just live with it...just looks like it wasn't the most uniform application of lacq at factory.

Lacquer will also discolor with time. But again, nothing one can do to prevent this, really...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, just live with it...just looks like it wasn't the most uniform application of lacq at factory.

Lacquer will also discolor with time. But again, nothing one can do to prevent this, really...
I’m just glad it wasn’t something I did...
Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,431 Posts
I've never seen such a thing on a factory lacquer, even on cheap horns.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Largemouth21,

I have a YSS 62, bought in the mid '80's, it has this too. Also overtime the keywork lacquer colour has changed to different shades, I just think of it as ageing gracefully, developing its patina.

Peter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts