Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this might seem like a really stupid question but I have one of those La voz/rico reedguards for 4 reeds and I just wanted to know if you just shove the reed in cos they're really tight and stiff and there's a mark on the reed when I take it out cos the case is so tight. (and that's another thing - the reed gets stuck) does it unclip anywhere or something?

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Are you using the plastic one or is it metal?

I've used both and find the newer plastic ones don't leave as much of a mark. The key is not to push them in too firmly. It's only purpose is to hold the reed flat.

They're easier to remove when the reed has fully dried out. If I've pushed a reed in too tight I'll have to work it back and forth at the bottom to try to ease it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you think it has anything to do with the reed i'm using? (vandoren zz)
no the case is plastic........as long as the marks on the reed don't do anything to affect sound then I'm ok thanks :)

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
As long as you didn't pull up on the reed trying to get it out and fracture the reed the marks shouldn't hurt anything. Just put them in using light force in the future.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
It could be smaller than it should be. Like made for another instrument. But whenever I happen to shove my reeds in mine and they get stuck, on the top of the reedguard (each holder) the plastic comes together at the top like a plastic flap. (It kind of resembles a oboe reed) You just need to seperate those with one hand while your pulling the reed, and it ends up coming out quite easily. Be careful though, marks on a reed aren't good. Especially when new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just breaking in a few reeds at the moment so i'll have to try and see how they sound tommorow and if there's a problem....just get a new reed holder so no biggie :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,305 Posts
Marian: I have both plastic and metal reed-guards and I ALWAYS use them. Yes, sometimes my reeds stick on the surface but by merely moving the reed's butt side-to-side, they break loose.

Most all methods of storing reeds will result in the tips warping, but no worry. A little soaking in your mouth before you play and they straighten out.

The marking caused by shoving a reed up against the top-flap is of no consequence either. I use reed-guards to keep my prepped reeds in the order of their playability - not to keep them flat on the tip. Like I wrorte above, they all warp so all my reed-guard does is 1) keep them being broken in the case, and 2) keep them in order. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
What Dave said.
IMO, there's no point in paying more for a reed case.

·
Registered
24 Posts
retread said:
there's no point in paying more for a reed case.
retread is completely right!

I'm actually in the middle of making my own reed case, since I see nothing about making you own on this forum, I'm going to take pictures and post them in a new topic. So look out for that!

As for the reed guards... I have one for 2 reeds and it only marks my reeds when I really push them in there. I usually just slide them in and stop applying pressure when I can feed a force acting against my action.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts