Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i bought a box of 10 la voz reeds, around 4 of them are playable and not to hard, however the other 6 are to hard for some reason, does anyone know any techniques to make them less hard or strong? like trimming?

all advice welcome

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
If they're too stiff, trimming will make the situation worse. After they're broken in, scrape a bit off the vamp with a knife. Scrape lightly then play-test, repeat until they start to feel like they are reaching your desired softness.

·
Registered
144 Posts
shed until they don't seem so hard any more... I thought the same thing when I switched to rico jazz select 4H's on my Link...but after a week and a half of hard practice, I'm getting a beautiful sound from them....and it keeps improving as my control get's better with them.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Chops has a point. Often the best reeds aren't the ones that play straight out of the box. If they are really hard sanding along the flat side with a fine sandpaper on a flat surface should do it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I used La Voz reeds for years. Now I can't find a good one. Same goes for Ricos. It's getting harder to find a good reed. Of course, they're the same company.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've been using La Voz for over a year now. So problems so far. Thank God! :D

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Get some reed rush. Soak the rush in a glass of water for a few minutes until it's pliable, and then slowly rub it along the vamp. A few strokes should remove enough to soften the reed up some.

·
Registered
140 Posts
question

Regard the vamp, the vamp is the flat portion of the reed? Where the contact between the table (base) of the mpc? Or the top of the reed? I would sand the top portion a bit.. I wouldnt sand the flat portion to avoid uneven surface... is that ok? Need advice and guidance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
La Voz reeds used to be great

I've found that new La Voz reeds are not as good as the old La Voz from about 2 years ago in the old white box as oppose to the new green/red/brown (rico owned ?) box. I recently managed to get a old white box from ebay here in the UK and they are so much better than the new ones. They seem a lot more resonant, require less breath pressure, are louder and more responsive. Every reed out of the old box has been good and some great. I get far less decent players in a new box. Come on Rico, let La Voz do whatever it was doing the old way with the old cane...or whatever.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
bLu3sU3d3 said:
Regard the vamp, the vamp is the flat portion of the reed? Where the contact between the table (base) of the mpc? Or the top of the reed? I would sand the top portion a bit.. I wouldnt sand the flat portion to avoid uneven surface... is that ok? Need advice and guidance.
Unless my terminology is wonky, the vamp is areas 5 & 6 mainly and a bit into 2, 3 & 4 in this drawing:

·
Registered
140 Posts
ah thanks for the info cleger. =)

ok, i dont really know much abt sanding the reed, according to the picture, where should start first? Assuming I know that the reed i tried is really giving me lots of problems.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeh thanks for the tips, i soaked them in raki (strong turkish spirit) for around half an hour and then sandpapered some of the vamp, they play like a dream now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts