Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a second-hand LA Sax alto the other day from a music shop.
Didn't know much about the brand or model, but I tried it and bought it.
May be someone can tell me what model it is?
It is black (or very dark blue) with "gold" keys and the only engraving is L.A. Sax on the side of the bell.
Seiral number is 2129xx.
To the point: I usually play a Buescher TT (most of the time). I also own a Mark VI and B&S BlueLabel, plus some more. All altos.
After I got my LA, they will all most likely gather dust in my basement.
The LA horn, set up with an old Berg and Forestone #2, has a very full tone. It is in tune all the way and very responsive. Also the key-work suits me perfectly. A friend of mine who is a professional jazz player tried it and it matched his KW SX90R.
I solo'ed on it last band rehearsal and got very good feedback on the sound.
But again, can anyone tell the model or origin og this horn?

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I bought a second-hand LA Sax alto the other day from a music shop.
To the point: I usually play a Buescher TT (most of the time). I also own a Mark VI and B&S BlueLabel, plus some more. All altos.
After I got my LA, they will all most likely gather dust in my basement.
The LA horn, set up with an old Berg and Forestone #2, has a very full tone. It is in tune all the way and very responsive. Also the key-work suits me perfectly. A friend of mine who is a professional jazz player tried it and it matched his KW SX90R.
I solo'ed on it last band rehearsal and got very good feedback on the sound.
But again, can anyone tell the model or origin og this horn?
I am not an expert on LA Sax, but your description sounds like the early models of LA Sax. I remember seeing horns like you described ard 1990 at a shop in Hong Kong. I don't know about the early LA Sax horns, but the later ones are all made in Asia, if I'm not wrong.

I also bought a later LA Sax curved soprano a few years ago, and it is a very average horn, so I find your statement that this alto beats your Mk 6 and B&S altos to be rather suprising. But perhaps the LA Sax you got matches well with your sound concept.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey there,

First - let me be honest and tell you that I've just started endorsing L.A Sax saxophone.

Secondly - I've played on their "Big Lip" tenor, which is absolutely remarkable. The mechanics and the sound are absolutely surprising for such an affordable horn. I also play their soprano, you can see me playing it here:

I'm very happy with it! I'm not sure about L.A sax old models but the Big Lip model is a great success.

Best,
Shauli

·
Banned
248 Posts
You know anything of the Series 1 saxes of LA Sax compared to the Big lips?
They look kinda similar, only are priced a couple of hundred dollars less.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hey there,

First - let me be honest and tell you that I've just started endorsing L.A Sax saxophone.

Secondly - I've played on their "Big Lip" tenor, which is absolutely remarkable. The mechanics and the sound are absolutely surprising for such an affordable horn. I also play their soprano, you can see me playing it here:

I'm very happy with it! I'm not sure about L.A sax old models but the Big Lip model is a great success.

Best,
Shauli
Nice clip! Do you have anything of you playing the tenor? Do you still endorse them? AND - have you tried the Big Lip, 'X' tenor? Any impressions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually bought one of these instruments. Excellent horn. It is a good "rival" to my Selmer horns. The case is pretty crappy, though. I'm going to have to get a new gig bag.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I actually bought one of these instruments. Excellent horn. It is a good "rival" to my Selmer horns. The case is pretty crappy, though. I'm going to have to get a new gig bag.
Shauli hasn't endorsed these for a while. I did pick up big lip 'the warrior' tenor. It was very heavy and played better than almost all of the Taiwanese horns I've owned. (Many). You could play it forever. In tune. Spoke really really well throughout ... I've had other LA sax people report mixed feelings about these. My experience was all positive.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
A recent acquaintance (2 years or so) has a tenor......not sure of the "vintage". He was using a Link Tone Edge from the '90's on it. It sounded horrible! Tubby, stuffy, you name it. I sold him an Excalibur 9E and the horn was completely transformed. Crisp, clear full tone. Needless to say he loves it!

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
James, wow! First post bumps a year old thread. Well done sir!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been playing Big lip tenor for about 2 years now. For the price i got it ($1000), I can't complain in the slightest. It's a good sounding horn, it's bright but the right mouthpiece counteracts that. It's loud and fairly focused. It's durable, Ive never had any major construction problems. a couple small things like pads, cork pieces and even keytouches that could definitely have been given a little more adhesive, but overall its fairly well built. And it's a beautiful horn. Not that matters musically, but I get a lot of compliments from audience members on the finish and keys. And as for the gig bag... I like it. Could be a different case that mine came with, but the gig bag/case mine came with has a lot of storage room, strap options, and is a lot better made than some pro-tecs. That being said, I have managed to break two straps in two years, but i carry that thing everywhere with a good amount of weight in it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
998 Posts
A recent acquaintance (2 years or so) has a tenor......not sure of the "vintage". He was using a Link Tone Edge from the '90's on it. It sounded horrible! Tubby, stuffy, you name it. I sold him an Excalibur 9E and the horn was completely transformed. Crisp, clear full tone. Needless to say he loves it!

Might be Morgan. I got a Excalibur 8EL for my Martin Tenor when Ralph was still making them, and that combo does the trick. Stopped my mouthpiece search.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've been playing Big lip tenor for about 2 years now. For the price i got it ($1000), I can't complain in the slightest. It's a good sounding horn, it's bright but the right mouthpiece counteracts that. It's loud and fairly focused. It's durable, Ive never had any major construction problems. a couple small things like pads, cork pieces and even keytouches that could definitely have been given a little more adhesive, but overall its fairly well built. And it's a beautiful horn. Not that matters musically, but I get a lot of compliments from audience members on the finish and keys. And as for the gig bag... I like it. Could be a different case that mine came with, but the gig bag/case mine came with has a lot of storage room, strap options, and is a lot better made than some pro-tecs. That being said, I have managed to break two straps in two years, but i carry that thing everywhere with a good amount of weight in it.
Which finish do you have? They bumped the new price WAY UP so you (and I ) got ours dirt cheap. Mine was used - UNL - with water spots ALL over (it looked 50 gears old) but it was in awesome shape and played great. I was surprised at the full clear tone in the high notes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts