Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am new to the site. I want to look up the la sax big lip tenor sax and what you guys think of them I didn't see any threads so here it is. Has anyone tried these horns and what do you think. Looking to get one. I been playing tenor for about two years and want to buy a new horn that is not too pricey. I currently own a stephanhouser if I spelled it correctly. It is silver and the tone is super bright. Looking for a darker mid-bright horn. Using a Larsen mouthpiece. Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,912 Posts
Greetings and welcome, Lamar.

Why are you looking to get a LA Big Lip tenor if you know so little about them?

Which Berg are you using? A different reed/mouthpiece setup can have a considerable influence on your tone. You may not need to change horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
The only LA saxes I've tried (2) sounded fairly similar to a kazoo. If you want a bit darker these are not a step in the right direction. I've tried a few Stephanhouser horns (albeit alto's) and I thought they sounded very nice to me. They were pretty bright but not buzzy.

In the same price range you can probably get a very good quality instrument. You've got to try anything first. That's where you make your judgements. My bright might not be the same as your bright.

Don't order anything online unless you can return it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Greetings also, Lamar...
I second Dr G's advice.
I also have a Larsen mp and love it... BUT I also have Bergs and more (too many - but love them).
Go the mouthpiece/reed route first.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a L.A. Sax Big Lip, and I love the sound. It's bright but not too edgy, and it's a beautiful sax for the price. I'm using a Link Supertone 8 and Hard Rico Plasticovers. I've found that the plasticovers help to keep the brightness under control. Though, I wouldn't say their build is the best. I've had problems with the cork on some keys not being glued on properly (on the palm keys specifically) and sticking pads already (I bought the horn a few months ago and they were a little sticky out of the box). Plus the bis and G# springs aren't really strong enough. Though, even after that, I'd still reccomend it for it's price. I have the Black nickel Bad Axe finish and it looks great, btw.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Your choice of mouthpiece is going to be the largest determining factor in the brightness/ darkness of your tone. If you feel your tone is too bright, try mouthpieces with a lower baffle and larger chamber. If you like Berg Larsens, look at 2 or 3 tone chamber. Try several mouthpieces and do some research before you spend money on a new horn based on advice which is really based on the givers subjective opinion, which may be quite different from yours.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,108 Posts
LA Sax big lip are Taiwanese horns imported in the USA. They are generally well made as your Stephanhouser is ( also a Taiwanese horn).

If I were you I would stick with my Stephanhouser ( some of those had pretty interesting innovations one of the few Taiwanese horns with actual original patents but not all models had that!) and find another mouthpiece which will help me develop the sound.

Most players spend years into just blowing into a mouthpiece before they actually realize that they can shape the sound by working on their tone. It is amazing how dark one can sound with a set up that everyone else would deem “ bright”.

The colour of your horn has nothing to do with the sound you get!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts