Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question that I hope doesn't make everyone froth at the mouth (since I know LA Sax has its proponents and its adversaries): does anyone have an informed opinion about this axe? I like saxellos, and if I had the dough right now I'd seriously consider R&C. Someday. Meanwhile, this saxello is reasonably priced. The strategy would be to get this for now, and sell it later when I want to move upward on this front (if). I know it's not a great horn, but is it decent? How's the tone, how's the intonation?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,305 Posts
In response to your question, I have no experience with the L.A. Sax version, but I do have experience with the R&C tipped-bell and a real Saxello (H.N. White/King).

Can you explain your fixation with tipped-bell sopranos? I understand their appearance - they ARE intriguing. That is why in the past, I acquired the two I mentioned. But the truth is, they played like . . . sopranos. And, they sounded like . . . sopranos, albeit the King Saxello (every one I've played) had a very poor scale. Other than that, I much prefer either straight or fully curved. At least I can set them down on a gig while I play another horn. DAVE

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave Dolson said:
In response to your question, I have no experience with the L.A. Sax version, but I do have experience with the R&C tipped-bell and a real Saxello (H.N. White/King).

Can you explain your fixation with tipped-bell sopranos? I understand their appearance - they ARE intriguing. That is why in the past, I acquired the two I mentioned. But the truth is, they played like . . . sopranos. And, they sounded like . . . sopranos, albeit the King Saxello (every one I've played) had a very poor scale. Other than that, I much prefer either straight or fully curved. At least I can set them down on a gig while I play another horn. DAVE
Well, of course, they ARE sopranos. So, yep. I played a King once, years ago, and loved it. But that was a long time ago. Maybe I'm on a nostalgia trip, and if that's all there is to it, I should be disabused of it. That's partly why I'm asking the question.

For you the R&C was indistinguishable from a straight sop by the same company?

People debate the differences between straight and fully curved sops often enough, but I haven't really seen this comparison made fully. Maybe I should have initiated a general thread about saxello virtues or lack thereof. My experience with these instruments is limited (I'm mainly a tenor and bari player in any case).

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,305 Posts
In MY opinion, that's all there is to it - the horn's shape. The advantages of a fully curved sop have been covered extensively here. But to the listening audience, it doesn't matter.

As far as comparing an R&C tipped bell to a straight R&C, I have not done that. But I did make comparisons to a number of sopranos I owned at the time I had the R&C tipped-bell and all I can say is that the R&C played well, had a nice tone but nothing superior to my best other sopranos.

If you gotta have one, go for it - and enjoy the unusual shape and comments from the audience (about it's shape, mostly, although I suspect some may conclude it sounds better because of the way it is shaped - purely psychological in my view). DAVE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts