Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got quite a few old style play-alongs where you have to pan the balance hard over left to eliminate the demo melody line but leave all the rhythm section.

I've just transferred all my backing tracks and sax tuition CDs into iTunes and onto my iPhone. That's really convenient, but neither the iPhone nor the hi-fi (a Denon unit) has a balance control.

Don't want to have to mess with the audio files and I expected the iPhone to have a built-in balance control setting or at least a App that would do it.

Does anyone know of something that would let me do this in the player ?

Rhys

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,183 Posts
This drives me nuts. I'm actually deaf in one ear. I put the headphone on my right ear but when the sax or something is the left channel then I can't hear it or it sounds really far away. I've been looking for something that you can just make the music mono on the spot. No luck so far.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
This drives me nuts. I'm actually deaf in one ear. I put the headphone on my right ear but when the sax or something is the left channel then I can't hear it or it sounds really far away. I've been looking for something that you can just make the music mono on the spot. No luck so far.
Me too (deaf in one ear) - You can change the import settings in iTunes to Mono if you want. This helped me anyway. Probably what ericdano is saying as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about removing one side of the headphones?
I'm playing it through the hi-fi rather than headphones.

And these CDs have just one version of the tune - with a sax performing the melody say in the right channel. Some of the CDs have 60+ tracks on them and I would rather pan the balance right over (as the original music book intended) rather than having to import all the tracks and then make mono versions of them. And it would be mono versions of just the left track (say) rather than a mono made by combining left and right equally.

If the iPhone (or my Denon hi-fi) had a balance control it would be easy.

Having done an internet search, several people with hearing problems in one ear would like a balance control and have suggested it to Apple. It looks like Apple have made a patent application which outlines a (software) graphic equaliser and a balance control, but it just hasn't been produced yet. Maybe on a future software update - or someone could make an App.

Rhys

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,183 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Does it change everything on you iTunes to mono or change everything on the iPod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only the track or CD you are importing. Bearing in mind I'm not very techy - having opened iTunes I load the CD in the computer, when its loaded it asks you if you want to import it, I say no here and click on the settings button at bottom right of the screen, change the drop down list until you see something with Mono in it. I can't remember the exact description. Click OK and then import the CD. This will only effect this CD.

You can also change this in general settings which will affect all CD's you import. If I am buying/downloading a CD from iTunes I will import it in the standard format i.e. stereo, copy it onto CD and then delete and reimport it in Mono, at least I have a stereo version on CD for general listening, listening in headphones is the bugbear. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Get yourself three of these... 3.5mm mono male to 3.5mm stereo female adapter. Unmodified, it will combine the stereo tracks into a mono track and send it to both ears. Modify the second one with a narrow strip of tape in the same place as the first ring on a stereo plug would be (one back from the tip which is the ground), using this one will allow you to mute one channel but still have the other go to both ears. Modify the third one with another strip of tape to cover the the contact point for the other channel, but leave the area where the second ring contacts bare. This way you can selectively, 1. combine both channels to both ears, 2. send just the right channel to both ears, 3. send just the left channel to both ears. Just by changing adapters.... B)

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
That looks the wrong way round to me, like it will go into a mono female and play to both sides of a stereo. Surely you would need a stereo jack that combines to mono?

e.g.:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cables-Go-Stereo-Female-Adapter/dp/B002DWAXLE
Only if you are using mono headphones will that work. If you stereo headphones, you will only get sound out of one ear. The idea behind using the method I suggested is that stereo sockets work fine with mono plugs because the positive outputs for left and right will contact on the barrel, and the ground is the tip, this effectively combines the sound for left and right into one channel. The method I outlined will work very well if you just want to completely mute one or the other channel or combine both channels. Another alternative (although more expensive) would be to use an inline balance control like this one Sennheiser inline balance control. This has the added advantage in being able to boost one channel independantly of the other which is good for people that are hard of hearing in one ear, but doesn't help with combining the channels to both ears.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Since the OP is talking about playing the tracks out loud on a home stereo set, here's one work-around that I've used. Does your Denon have inputs for "A" speakers and "B" speakers? If so, you're in luck. Use the "A" inputs for your left speaker and "B" input for your right speaker. Now you can choose left, right or both channels by turning "A" and "B" speakers on and off.

The only drawback is that when you want just the left channel from your recording, you'll literally get just one speaker. Other than that, it works great for me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Since the OP is talking about playing the tracks out loud on a home stereo set, here's one work-around that I've used. Does your Denon have inputs for "A" speakers and "B" speakers? If so, you're in luck. Use the "A" inputs for your left speaker and "B" input for your right speaker. Now you can choose left, right or both channels by turning "A" and "B" speakers on and off.

The only drawback is that when you want just the left channel from your recording, you'll literally get just one speaker. Other than that, it works great for me.
Or you could just use the inline balance control from Sennheiser that I mentioned in my previous post.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. There are stacks of old and new play-along tracks that need this facility.

I just found the solution you are looking for. It's an app called EQ 10 - Equalizer for iOS.

It costs £1.49 from iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eq-10-equalizer-for-ios/id436991303?mt=8 .

It's just the job for panning, EQ and volume balancing, and with a very good, intuitive Apple-like interface.

Jeremy

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think the "Amazing Slow Downer" transcription app will do the same thing. It's more expensive, but it's worth it if you do any transcribing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts