Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Légère Sig with texture ??

HI,
I just purchases a Légère Signature reed for tenor Number 2.
The backside shows a texture as of a mesh or textile - hard to fotograph but easy to be seen. It also feels rough, rippled very fine.
It would be nice were it on the lip side to make it less smooth, more like cane, but it is on the facing side.
Did you see that yourself? Do they make it now for a reason?
Or should I resend it - it's from Thomann.
I'm still (again!) testing synthetics.

Lutz

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Légère Sig with texture ??

Hi Lutz,

That treatment on the bottom is intentional. If the reed was perfectly smooth on the bottom, it would make a strong suction between that and the table, which isn't ideal. The texture helps it not be a perfect seal, which allows the reed to vibrate more naturally.

Remember, while you're trying our reeds if you don't like the strength, you can exchange it at www.legere.com/exchanges

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yes, this helps a lot, thank you.
I will try out the exchange site, will go up to 2.5

·
Registered
3,116 Posts

I second Lutz's call for adding some texture to the obverse as well. Personally, I find the smooth feel of the Legere on the tongue off-putting, and prefer the more natural, fibrous feel of a Fibracell or Forestone.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,846 Posts
Personally, i find the Fibracell much too abrasive.

I like the smoothness of the Legere just fine.
It is NOT a cane reed. I found that it was easy to adapt.
If you want cane, play cane.

dsm

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts

If you want cane, play cane.
For me all that matters is sound. I don't find the feel of any synthetic a problem in that you get used to the difference within a few minutes. The difference with legere for me was that the sound is the same as a cane reed as opposed to other synthetic reeds that don't give you ther same sound.

(The usual disclaimer: I am a Legere endorser due to the fact they are great reeds)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts