Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my baritone sax a couple of years ago, I was also given an LA Sax 8 metal mouthpiece. I haven´t really used it, but found it in a drawer the other day and got curious. It´s not easy to find any information about these mouthpieces on the web, so I was wondering if anyone here on SOTW has any information to share?
Exteriorly, it is very similar to a silver Guardala mpc except for the biting plate, which is purple and almost oval in shape. On the inside, it has got a rather high baffle, with a sharply delineated drop towards the chamber, somewhat like the DG MB II. The chamber itself seems to be the same size as the bore.
Playing-wise, it´s quite free-blowing and for me it produces a brightish, rather generic sound (not that I´m all that original to begin with!).

So what is the general consensus on these mouthpieces? Are they any good, or are they just cheap copies of something better? I remember reading somewhere that there was some kind of connection between Dave Guardala and LA Sax. Could this mpc be a product of that connection?

/Saxray

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
Don't know of any connection between DG and LASax. If the mouthpiece is good, play it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know of any connection between DG and LASax. If the mouthpiece is good, play it.
Well, a Google search yielded this link (but not very much else):

http://www.pro-music-news.com/html/11/e91211la.htm

This seems to be from 1999, but I have no idea what (if anything) came of this collaboration.

Personally, I wasn´t all that impressed, and I have other mouthpieces that I prefer (hence its early confinement to the drawer). However, if it is generally considered to be a decent mpc, I might try and sell it. If it is not, I might as well just put it back in the drawer and keep it as an emergency back up.

/Saxray

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
So, perhaps your mouthpiece was made by B&S since they built the Guardala saxophones for LA Sax.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, perhaps your mouthpiece was made by B&S since they built the Guardala saxophones for LA Sax.
Well, who knows. LA Sax mouthpieces are rarely mentioned on this forum and it is difficult to find any further information about them. My guess is that they are just generic copies, possibly based on the Guardala design. Otherwise, I suppose we would have heard more about them. But I would, of course, love to be wrong about this!

/Saxray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts