Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to recording my Kung Superio bass recorder today on a project I'm involved with. I suggested doubling a cello part on a pastoral piece with the bass and it worked fantastically well. The sound and range of expression is just gorgeous on this horn. Forget about the old wimpy basses of the past the Kung is a monster with power and definitely a soloists instrument that would work in any context and would substitute bass or alto flute easily.

I'd forgotten what fun playing the recorder is ( I also used Moeck grenadilla soprano and sopranino recorders)
If anybody still thinks recorders are for kids check out the amazing Goran Mansson
on amplified contra bass recorder laying it down here. He is amazing.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IBdzPlu4i4&feature=related

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
You are simply mazing wish i could afford one of those I have a Emerson bass Flute thats awesome want a contra bass flute

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The contra bass flute is a phenominal instrument I agree. I only got to play one once at Eva Kingmas workshop in Holland. It was enroute to Vinnie Golia the West Coast multi instrumentalist. I would love one of those..they sound incredible accoustically or with pick ups. Very easy to play and great projection. Eva is making an economy version now I believe but it's still a big expense,
I also tried a contra alto in G but it wasn't a patch on the contra bass. Very funky horn you can do amazing things with.

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,781 Posts
this si a sub contrabass recorder..........

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used my Kung bass again today on a poetry and music album. I never fail to be knocked out by its superb tone and playability. I used it solo behind a dark Gothic fairytale
and it's woody resonant tone was perfect. We were going to use viola and I only took the bass as an afterthought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts