Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sent a true tone alto neck to Doc to refinish like the original. In about a week it was back in my hands and the work was beautifully done. A picture of the neck is below. Thanks Doc. You have all my plating business from now on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
Yes i had Doc gold plate my Conn 10M tenor neck and the bell flare a few years ago and it was good work.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
First let me say that the neck looks very nice. 90% of a beautiful plating job is in the prep work. If you sent Doc a raw neck in need of refinish and plating I would say Bravo! Nice job Doc. If you sent Doc a neck buffed and ready to plate with all of the prep work done, Bravo to you and nice job Doc. I have not used him for plating but may consider it some time as his work seems to be excellent from the pictures people have posted. It would be nice to hear from a few people who had items plated and are happy with the durability of his plating 5-10 years down the line.

As for Anderson, I have been dealing with them since 1981. Only once in that time have I had any issues and that was missing some tiny flute parts I sent, not plating. They resolved the problem to my satisfaction. I have personal instruments that were plated by them 20+ years ago and the plating is still beautiful. I do my own prep work so the quality of the finish is largely due to my efforts.

Lastly, it may sound like I am not impressed with Docs work which is not the case. If I sent him an item like that, I would expect it to look at least that good. I expect the same from Anderson as well. I am not suprised he has that standard of excellence. HO HUM...just another high quality job from Doc :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
564 Posts
Thanks John,

Slausonm, the neck was sent bare. We polished it and applied the satin before the plating. I haven't had a chance to sit down and make a "formal" price list. We have a basic price list on our site for a complete job but not individual pieces. The individual pieces that we have done very according to what we need to do (if any) for prep. Prices are fair as we don't have a massive overhead!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Now that's interesting. I always thought the "satin" was the result of bead blasting after the plating was applied, not an application of something prior to plating. Mind sharing?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
NO! I can't believe you're asking Doc to reveal one of his 'Ancient Chinese Secrets'.
Shame on you! :twisted:

It would be interesting to know how one does go about achieving a satin fininsh though....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Yup it is done before the plating
You mask off the places that you want to be bright silver.
Correct, a very simple proceedure.
For "Doc" Frazier to phrase this as "apply the satin" is to confuse.
The final plating tends to reveal imperfections....it's all in the prep.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The "satin" finish is applied by bead blasting prior to plating. I don't find that terminology confusing at all. You could also say the "shiny" finish is applied by buffing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
564 Posts
NO! I can't believe you're asking Doc to reveal one of his 'Ancient Chinese Secrets'.
Shame on you! :twisted:

It would be interesting to know how one does go about achieving a satin fininsh though....
bandmommy - I don't know about a "Ancient Chinese Secret", maybe an Irish/Welch one! LOL!

maddenma - it is a medium-sized glass bead used PRIOR to plating

To All - sometimes we spend way too much time trying to figure out if there is a "special secret" to something - whether it be a playing technique, a certain m/p or horn that player X uses or a maker makes or maybe that satin UNDER a finish. No secrets here, just the same techniques that have been used for many, many years.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Thanks. Being an idiot, I just assumed it was normally bead blasted after the plating, but I can see how that wouldn't be economical. Taping up the shiny bits wasn't hard to figure out. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
A few years back, I remember, you could tell an Anderson replate by the totally opaque beadblast finish - very different looking from the sandblast done in the 1950s or before. They either wouldn't or couldn't duplicate the slightly lustrous look of sandblast.

I heard somewhere it was due to safety regs regarding the use of sand. I don't know any more about this or whether it may have changed since. Doc's work above does look like the vintage type, however. Good going Doc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
I dont know about the Uk, but bead blast is 1000 usd a drum here in australia, where as garnet (sand) is about 90usd for the same size container, the plastic does not last long before it stops cutting, So its not an economical option at all

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
I dont know about the Uk, but bead blast is 1000 usd a drum here in australia, where as garnet (sand) is about 90usd for the same size container, the plastic does not last long before it stops cutting, So its not an economical option at all
We, in the UK, are totally constrained by the European Health & Safety, Human Rights, and Politically Correct (who, apart from them, says that they are correct?) Mafia......all for our own good, don't y' know. :evil:
Effectively ruled by thin lipped minorities...... Guardian readers.
Consequently, for years, sandblasting has been outlawed (all for our own good etc, ad nauseum).
As you imply simso, the economies or efficiency take a back seat to these peripheral issues.
The effect of the sandblasting/beadblasting can be controlled by the distance from the gun, & with care, any degree can be achieved whatever the medium....with the possible exception of lead shot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts