Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I made a low A extension for my horn, after reading about it on the forum. It was suggested to use 4" PVC tube, so that's what I did. It worked great, but was so heavy it wasn't very comfortable to use. I thought a kraft mailing tube would work much better, and be durable enough. The trick is in tracking down a 4" mailing tube. I had to buy a case (!), but I'm happy with the results. I found a roll of adhesive-backed cork shelf liner, that works great as gasket material. It's a little up from the edge, which allows the tube to rest right against the bell.





On my horn, a 9" tube gives me a spot-on A. This throws B way out of tune, so you lose that note, but C on up is unaffected.

If you want one, let me know, I'll send you one for $10.

 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
7,129 Posts
Great solution using the craft tube and nice video to demonstrate. Besides weight, another advantage of the tube is it won't scratch the lacquer the way a pvc tube might. Did you lose both the B and Bb?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
Joined
·
2,547 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great solution using the craft tube and nice video to demonstrate. Besides weight, another advantage of the tube is it won't scratch the lacquer the way a pvc tube might. Did you lose both the B and Bb?
I suppose I should have said so, but yes, Bb becomes A, and B is a quarter tone flat, so you lose both. By the way, recognize the mouthpiece? :) I'm liking it more and more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found that it wasn't even necessary to use a cylinder. A magazine stuffed into the bell gave just as good results despite the fact that it barely covered a third of the bell's circumference.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/Bari_extension.htm

Regards,
Great site, by the way, I've been reading your articles for years. I played around with the magazine before, but I thought it was more practical to have a tube. If you're reading a chart and need the A, you can quickly jam the tube in without fidgeting with it, and pull it out just as fast.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
Joined
·
2,547 Posts
Great site, by the way, I've been reading your articles for years. I played around with the magazine before, but I thought it was more practical to have a tube. If you're reading a chart and need the A, you can quickly jam the tube in without fidgeting with it, and pull it out just as fast.
Cheers, glad you like it!
Yep, a bespoke tube is much easier to handle on the fly - but it can be a bit of a problem when it comes to storage. Ideally a collapsible tube would be the thing...like one of those 'easy up' tents.

Something else that's worth experimenting with is covering the bell - like players do with their knee.

Regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,220 Posts
I buy one. My PVC set up is too heavy. But the set-up as yours using the light tube provides a great sounding A.

what is your email?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Another source for cardboard "inserts" is the center tube that new carpet comes in. It is much thicker than mailing tubes. You can easily find a piece for free at a carpet store, left over from carpet installs.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
7,129 Posts
…yes, Bb becomes A, and B is a quarter tone flat, so you lose both. By the way, recognize the mouthpiece? :) I'm liking it more and more.
Oh, I'm so silly… of course you would lose both notes. So that is the Paladino mouthpiece. It sounds great in the video.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I made one using 4-inch flexible & expandable tubing that they sell for venting clothes dryers. Got it at Home Depot. You can adjust the length till you get the note right. I used duct tape to stabilize it's length and to protect the horn. Plus, it even kinda matches the horn, which is silver.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
Joined
·
7,416 Posts
I never thought about doing something like that. You could keep it handy and throw it in the bell when doing songs in C. I think I'll make one, but I'll have to experiment with my 'The Martin Baritone' to dial in the length.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
7,129 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,027 Posts
Its not that the bari is that big, its just that the players heads tend to be small.
I'll send the ten bucks if I can stop laughing long enough to write a check...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
Um, this seems like something I would do... quite professional and impressive the way I do many things with duct tape, plastic, etc. For a minute I actually thought about it for my soprano, since I've just transcribed Vivaldi A minor violin concerto which drops to low A after transposing to Bb... but it also has a lot of low B's in it too... I want to play it with my wife on piano... am not sure what to do about the low A's...
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top