Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering using the Kooiman Forza thumb rest on my Selmer serie III soprano and also my MK VI baritone.

I did research the few threads on this product in SOTW which are fairly old now so I was hoping I could get some recent feedback experience on this accessory.

Any comments will be appreciated. They are relatively expensive and I'm not yet convinced as to their merit.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I am considering using the Kooiman Forza thumb rest on my Selmer serie III soprano and also my MK VI baritone.

I did research the few threads on this product in SOTW which are fairly old now so I was hoping I could get some recent feedback experience on this accessory.

Any comments will be appreciated. They are relatively expensive and I'm not yet convinced as to their merit.
I don't have any direct experience, but from the pictures that were broadcast back a few years when these were introduced, it looks like it could help on soprano. On baritone I fail to see the point as you should not be supporting any of the weight of the instrument on your right thumb. If you are finding your right thumb tired or painful on baritone you need to pull up on the neck strap so you aren't tempted to try to lift the horn with your thumb.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,088 Posts
is not that the accessory has changed, so the old comments are just as good as the new ones. It is a comfortable accessory, expensive too, both are reliable facts.

In my experience the correct use of any strap or harness (or better even, the saxholder) makes you put extremely little force on your thumb, the incorrect one makes people believe they need a better holding point.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,473 Posts
Some years back I somehow strained my thumb and as a result it was uncomfortable playing the sax and no matter how well I adjusted the strap, etc, it still was a problem. It came down to stop playing for however long it would take for the strain to heal, which was probably the right thing to do medically but I wasn't ready to take that option, or look for another solution. A local guy had a Forza thumb rest for sale (I think he gave me a good deal on it, if I recall correctly), so I tried it out and it really helped. My thumb got better and maybe I no longer need the fancy thumb rest, but I've kept it on my MKVI tenor and it's very comfortable.

So I would agree with milandro to an extent. If you aren't having any trouble with your current thumb rest, I wouldn't bother getting a different one. If you are having some discomfort, try adjusting the strap, etc and see if that takes care of it. If not, or if the current thumb rest seems poorly aligned, then the Forza might help because it is adjustable. Assuming they are still available...

In short, all that is to say I really like it and find it to be very comfortable.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I got one (used) about 6 months ago for some stiffeness in my right thumb. Definitely helped me on my Mark VI, where I still use it. IIRC it did not fit on my soprano (Yani curvy). I would agree, unless you are having issues, you probably don't need it, but if you have thumb pain, it Amy help. I have not tried any of the other solutions out there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,345 Posts
I have the Forza thumb rest on two tenors and an alto, but not my sop.

In my experience, it spreads the force on the thumb, opens the grip, and encourages the player to push against the thumb rather than lift the horn. I don’t know that it is possible to lift the horn via the Forza, due to its curvature.

I use a neck strap with a bent neck sop, and don’t feel that my sop would benefit from it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts