Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one in a basement yesterday but there is no model engraved, the only thing it says on the bell is Kohlert 0501. It looks good all pads seal well but the key work sounds like an old typewriter.

I haven't found much info on Kohlert other than that they were good way back when and the later models are deemed "even the best are pretty bad" I couldn't take a picture but I plan on going back today since I am in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
How old does it look? Are you sure it's a vintage Bohemian Kohlert, and not a modern Asian horn that has adopted the once-defunct Kohlert brand name?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zoot, it looks like an Asian horn but I'll try to get more info. It's been in the family for awhile but it did not look vintage to me. Other than a minor dent in the bow it looks great but like I said, the way the key works are rattling looks cheap.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, but do own two Kohlert stencils from the '60s, and can attest that they're both rock-solid. There are a few family resemblances that seem to carry over on the later models, like the trapezoidal G# pinky key touch, distinctive open right-angle bell-body brace, large and beefy neck strap ring, and sometimes rolled tone holes.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some pictures, certainly not a vintage horn, I found out it is about 4-5 years old, heavy as a brick and sounds a bit like a sock was lost inside but otherwise, scratched, dented, typical high school kid beatings taken. Since I have not found any other reference on the web I'm just adding to the knowledge pool:

View attachment 241736
View attachment 241750
View attachment 241738
View attachment 241740
View attachment 241742
View attachment 241744
View attachment 241746
View attachment 241748

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, indeed, it looks very similar and the store it was bought does not dabble in the really cheap stuff. As mentioned, it the horn has been thrown around a bit but all the damage appears entirely cosmetic. There is no indication of the manufacturing location, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts