Sax on the Web Forum banner

Kohlert stencil on ebay? - "Regal"

3K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  BrianMitchellBrody 
#1 ·
I'm not the seller - and I'm not looking to bid on it - I already have a Kohlert stencil - an "Edgware" tenor, which is a great-playing horn.
This sure looks like my Edgware: Has the characteristic bell-brace, thumb octave key, also rolled-edge tone holes.
Never heard of this particular stencil tho.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132858040233

#4 ·
But which Kohlert is it? I've been jonesing for a Kohlert tenor since picking up a sweet B&H Oxford alto, which is the Canadian equivalent of an Edgware, and apparently a Bixley stencil. Is this Regal also a Bixley, or a Regent, or something else?

#8 ·
Original pads? That's how my Edgware arrived, and I opted for an overhaul by an excellent local tech. Not cheap but it's a great player, with a resonanc tone comparable to my VI, and a slightly darker tone. I do find, however, that the Edgware is flat on the altissimo F# and G especially. (This may be a mouthpiece mismatch issue. The mouthpiece may need more internal volume in such a case - I haven't worked it out yet.)

#12 ·
Hi! I need more info about this beat up tenor. The only markings on it are the name "Regal" etched on the bell and the serial number. Nothing else. I'm a beginner from the Philippines and I'm not sure if it's worth bringing this to the tech. Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Attachments

#13 ·
Regal is a very common “ name” ( not a brand) like Royal or other such things, you will never be able to bring this back to any particular source.

This is certainly not a Kohlert and looks distintivly Asian made , probably Chinese.

There were lots of these also made in the early Taiwan years , depending on how much your tech would charge it may be worth or not to fix. In Europe it wouldn’t be worth the cost of an overhaul. It is not worth even the cost of good quality pads, let alone the work to install them.

Sorry.

#14 ·
Regal is a very common " name" ( not a brand) like Royal or other such things, you will never be able to bring this back to any particular source.

This is certainly not a Kohlert and looks distintivly Asian made , probably Chinese.

There were lots of these also made in the early Taiwan years , depending on how much your tech would charge it may be worth or not to fix. In Europe it wouldn't be worth the cost of an overhaul. It is not worth even the cost of good quality pads, let alone the work to install them.

Sorry.
Thank you for the quick reply. I guess I'll just make it into a nice wall decor in the game room or lampshade in the house. And continue learning with my YTS23.

#15 ·
The YTS 23 is certainly worth more than this saxophone. It doesn’t mean to say that this is a bad saxophone ( which you can really only tell by playing and examining it) but simply based on value investing 2 -3 times its value in repairs would make no sense.

Unfortunately this is a situation that is getting increasingly common. All those saxophone sold for very little in the last 30 years are are now getting to the point that they need work. Better investing in a known brand.

#21 ·
I'm still searching for the right Vintage German made alto to start my collection of altos. I have four vintage German tenors and they are all high quality even not completely modern.

I'll probably start with either a Kolhert or a Bundy Special JK but most I find have decimated finishes and dented bodies. I don't mind paying for an overhaul but the lacquer has to be intact, no body damage or bad soldering jobs.

Ive had better luck finding Tenors and Baritone

#22 ·
I have found from time to time nearly perfect examples in nickel plate by Kohlert. Also other German brands.

You’ll have better luck finding JK altos , I have them regularly for sale . I see then regularly in their Amati JK incarnation that is very good but difficult to sell for me so, I don’t buy them.

#24 ·
Well amati did make several horns for JK even in moder times part of the series ST and EX , but that is not what I am talking about.

The Amati factory was one of the JK factories ( a large group) which became nationalized after WWII but they kept on producing the same Toneking model that they were producing before and ever retained , fo a while the " JK best in the world " logo.

read about it here

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=mod&modID=75

"...The Toneking model name was co-opted by Amati when they nationalized the Keilwerth plant in Graslitz, Czechoslovakia (1946). These horns are shockingly similar to Keilwerth-made Tonekings of a couple years earlier. ...."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.