Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not the seller - and I'm not looking to bid on it - I already have a Kohlert stencil - an "Edgware" tenor, which is a great-playing horn.
This sure looks like my Edgware: Has the characteristic bell-brace, thumb octave key, also rolled-edge tone holes.
Never heard of this particular stencil tho.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132858040233

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
But which Kohlert is it? I've been jonesing for a Kohlert tenor since picking up a sweet B&H Oxford alto, which is the Canadian equivalent of an Edgware, and apparently a Bixley stencil. Is this Regal also a Bixley, or a Regent, or something else?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,472 Posts
It’s the same I had some time ago, similar to a Regent, difficult to sell but a very good player, at that price is a steal. Yet fixing it may cost a pretty penny too, still worth it.

this shop has one identical to mine and maybe mine. They sell it at aVERY optimistic price!

http://www.hummelsaxofoons.com/product/kohlert-regent/

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Coincidentally, a B&H Oxford tenor went up for sale in my region within minutes of my last post about this very horn. Funny that. The vendor is asking too much, though it's good to know there are some around.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Coda: just bought an Oxford tenor on a whim to match my alto. It's a bit leaky, but playable. First indications suggest it'll be a great rock & blues horn after some TLC.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coda: just bought an Oxford tenor on a whim to match my alto. It's a bit leaky, but playable. First indications suggest it'll be a great rock & blues horn after some TLC.
Original pads? That's how my Edgware arrived, and I opted for an overhaul by an excellent local tech. Not cheap but it's a great player, with a resonanc tone comparable to my VI, and a slightly darker tone. I do find, however, that the Edgware is flat on the altissimo F# and G especially. (This may be a mouthpiece mismatch issue. The mouthpiece may need more internal volume in such a case - I haven't worked it out yet.)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Original pads? That's how my Edgware arrived, and I opted for an overhaul by an excellent local tech.
Some of the pads are newer, Barry, but others do look original, and most have what I presume to be the original rivets. I really love my Oxford alto, even preferring it at times to my Zephyr, and feel this Oxford tenor could be better still. Its tone has a really nice amount of focus and projection, but still with that rich Bohemian vibe. It'll be off to my tech at the first opportunity.

What pads and resos did you use on your Edgware?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! I need more info about this beat up tenor. The only markings on it are the name "Regal" etched on the bell and the serial number. Nothing else. I'm a beginner from the Philippines and I'm not sure if it's worth bringing this to the tech. Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Attachments

·
41,472 Posts
Regal is a very common “ name” ( not a brand) like Royal or other such things, you will never be able to bring this back to any particular source.

This is certainly not a Kohlert and looks distintivly Asian made , probably Chinese.

There were lots of these also made in the early Taiwan years , depending on how much your tech would charge it may be worth or not to fix. In Europe it wouldn’t be worth the cost of an overhaul. It is not worth even the cost of good quality pads, let alone the work to install them.

Sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Regal is a very common “ name” ( not a brand) like Royal or other such things, you will never be able to bring this back to any particular source.

This is certainly not a Kohlert and looks distintivly Asian made , probably Chinese.

There were lots of these also made in the early Taiwan years , depending on how much your tech would charge it may be worth or not to fix. In Europe it wouldn’t be worth the cost of an overhaul. It is not worth even the cost of good quality pads, let alone the work to install them.

Sorry.

Thank you for the quick reply. I guess I'll just make it into a nice wall decor in the game room or lampshade in the house. And continue learning with my YTS23.

·
41,472 Posts
The YTS 23 is certainly worth more than this saxophone. It doesn’t mean to say that this is a bad saxophone ( which you can really only tell by playing and examining it) but simply based on value investing 2 -3 times its value in repairs would make no sense.

Unfortunately this is a situation that is getting increasingly common. All those saxophone sold for very little in the last 30 years are are now getting to the point that they need work. Better investing in a known brand.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. I guess I'll just make it into a nice wall decor in the game room or lampshade in the house. And continue learning with my YTS23.
Is it at all playable? Since you apparently already own it, then you might as well take a leak light to it. If it seems unplayable right now, check the octave key pads and other pads at the stop of the stack. You can get an inexpensive set of pads on ebay, and this would be an opportunity to learn how to do some basic things like "floating" in a new pad (or 2 or 3) , or checking adjustments like the articulated G#, if you're at all interested in learning some basic horn maintenance and trouble-shooting.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,131 Posts
I'm currently getting a Kolhert Winniden Tenor being overhauled. Nothing like having these german saxes brought back to life.

·
41,472 Posts
I'm currently getting a Kolhert Winniden Tenor being overhauled. Nothing like having these german saxes brought back to life.
yes, but the one that poster rmarcelo is showing is not at all a kohlert , look at the pictures! This is a Chinese or early Taiwanese horn VERY different kettle of fish the only thing in common is this “ Regal” name

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. Yes it was playable, but I had it overhauled and nickel-plated (the cost here in this part of the world are way lower). Better sounding now than when I got it. And looks pretty in silver, too.

·
41,472 Posts
wow, good luck, again this last one just above ^ was an Asian Horn , probably Chinese, but not a Kohlert

1 - 20 of 25 Posts