Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a Kohlert and Sons clarinet being sold locally through an online classified. It's really, really cheap, so price isn't the issue. I'm just wondering if it's worth the trip to check it out.

BTW, I don't really need another clarinet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Why not, especially if it's cheap and wood. They can be good. It should be Czech or made In Weimar and might make a nice back up horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
I just got a V. Kohlert's Sons Graslitz, Eb clarinet off of eBay that's really nice. Solid wood and no cracks. The tone is good and has pretty good intonation too. There are various kohlert clarinets. I think there was more than one factory. Watch out for HP clarinets and Albert system. You probably don't want those.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
Ooops, forgot to look at your photo. that is not an Albert system. Just make sure it has the letters 'LP' on it, or bring your tuner to check the A=440. My Kohlert's Sons is good quality… definitely better than a student model.

·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks soybean,

What does "LP" and "HP" stand for ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
Thanks soybean,

What does "LP" and "HP" stand for ?
Low Pitch and High Pitch. A = 440 Hz vs. 457 Hz or so. The latter is not very well suited for ensemble playing unless the rest is having high pitch as well.

·
Registered
469 Posts
A lot of people speak highly of Kohlert clarinets/bass clarinets, as well as their sax line.

·
1,184 Posts
Go to the clarinet forum at www.woodwind.org and search for "Kohlert", you'll find a wealth of information (and opinions). I'm a solid Kohlert man, myself. And I'm talking about the authentic German/Czechoslovakian/Sudetenland/Czecho-Slovakian/Bohemian/Austrian Kohlerts (yes, although for the better part of a century they existed in the same town known variously as Kraslice or Graslitz, the region/country of which that was a part, kept changing!). NOT the current crop of Vietnamese-made cheapo instruments using the Kohlert name.

·
Registered
9 Posts
be sure it's a pre WW II Kohlert, (Graslitz) ... not the more modern (post WW II) Kohlerts made in Winnendin ... the old pre WWII are superb horns in albert, not sure about boehm ...

·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I tried contacting the seller a couple of times, no reply.
I just saw that he removed the ad.

He was selling it for $20 !!!

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You occasionally see them on shop goodwill. Saw a Winnenden sell for less than $30. Who knows what shape it was in, but thats still a good price.

·
1,184 Posts
The Winnenden, Germany (~1949-1970) era Bb clarinets are OK, the bass clarinets from that era are very good, and the saxes are excellent. It is true that the "pre-Winnenden" era soprano clarinets (Graslitz/Kraslice) are outstanding (and great bargains), as are the earlier bass clarinets (which have goofy-looking register mechanisms but work very well when properly set up).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts