Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Grand daughter has asked me for a Soprano Sax for Christmas.
She is an intermediate level (or better) player

I've been offered a Kohlert 0709 in what appears to be new condition.
Serial # 3309422 $350

I can't find anything on the internet about this model, I was told that is was manufactured in the USA

Is anyone familiar with this sax and can provide info to me? Is this a good instrument? Good price?
SaxSki

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Kohlert is/was a german brand, with a good manufacture. From what I read in other threads here in the forum the name was bought and sold after the original company went under, and they are now Chinese manufacture. (I may not be 100% correct on this). Based on the serial number, it seems to be one of the new chinese production, and I can't attest for it's quality.

I think that your grand daughter beeing at least intermediate level, she would appreciate a more substancial horn. You can probably find a more reliable one with a bit more money. Have you tried asking her if she has any preference? May be better than buying something she won't like. It'll be better in my opinion to go over the issue with her, keeping in mind your budget and let her try a few horns and decide which one she likes best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,991 Posts
Yup, the great Kohlert name having fallen victim to the 'buy the branding rights' monster.

(Did anyone say Grassi ?)

As noted above, these are basically inexpensive asian horns, trying to compete in the lower-but-not-rock-bottom end of the market.

IF she were a beginner, it might be worth a shot only because if she didn't get serious about it, the investment would have been fairly minimal....and ostensibly these are better (maybe ?) than something like a Cecilio.

BUT, as noted above, given she has been playing a bit and seems to have a passion and focus developing, probably better to get her something more reputed, with a better and more familiar track record.

Jupiter sopranos, for instance, tend to sell quite cheaply on the second-hand market and they are a very decent quality horn. I have serviced many a Jupiter. Respectable if made after around '99, and not a lot of $.

You could start jumping to something like a Yamaha, used, but now we are talking the $1000 area, so perhaps that isn't near your pricepoint.

Perhaps other can suggest some other worthy brands in the under $700ish range....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much thanks for the input.
A little more information; My granddaughter has been playing piano for 7 years and the Alto Sax for 3. She is practicing for Level 7 NYSSMA (unheard of for a 7th grader) and, I'm sure she will nail it.

She wants to also play Soprano Sax. The Kohlert (modern, and supposedly made in the USA) that I mentioned is on loan to her for a week, starting yesterday. She has been playing it almost all day and loves it (the type of sax, if not this particular one).

I have another lead for a Jean Baptiste curved Soprano. I'll have more info on Wednesday

1 - 4 of 4 Posts