Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
They are considerably lighter than the Rovners.
They use a system where the screw tightens both sides evenly (sort of as per the Vandoren Optimum).
They make make a lot of sizes (S,M,L,XL) within each basic size, so one can really get a good fit. Klum soprano pieces are very slim, like a Selmer S80; if you use a lig made to accommodate, say, a Vandoren soprano piece the lig won't tighten properly. So, GF-06S for the Klum, GF-06M for a Vandoren size sop piece.
They are really easy to adjust on stage, they don't slip (I really cannot bear using ligs like the Francois Louis for that reason)....... etc etc. And they are not particularly expensive.
I have a load of these for all saxes and clarinet and I've been using them exclusively for about 4 years.
The only reservation I occasionally have is that metal ligs sometimes seem to give a bit more grist to the sound, but it's a minor thing IMO. The only lig I have recently tried and prefered was the Silverstein, but I am put off by the Silverstein's price and complexity in comparison.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So if I understand you correctly you have to know what mouthpiece or type of the ligature fits. I looked at their website and they list a number of different brands and/ or makes. What if your mouthpiece is not part of it, do yo have to tell them the diameter?

I agree with you about the Francois Louis, I play tenor only and found that the lig. can slip or move using hard rubber mouthpieces.

After all the very positive reviews of the Marc Jean ligature I looked at his website but the prices are quite high almost as much as my mouthpieces. So I am looking at a reasonably good alternative.

What you say may fit the bill.

Thanks

Tom.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bonade and Ishimori Prototypes work great on the Classic
What's an Ishimori Protoype? Is that currently available or is it literally a prototype?
What size Bonade? I use modified Bonade's on clarinet and love them.

·
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dave, did you order them directly or through another retailer? They indeed look like an improved Rovner, many of which aren't bad I might add.
The Klum is even smaller than a Selmer S80. I still have the original ligature for the S80 C* I bought in the 90's and ligature is way too big for my Klum.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

·
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got mine from a London retailer T W Howarth https://www.howarth.uk.com/products.aspx?id=113&url=saxacc.html but I had to order in a few of the 'S' and 'L' versions as they mainly have the 'M' version.
Thomann also stocks them https://www.thomann.de/gb/gf_ligature_gf_06s_gd.htm .
Be a bit careful with sizing, as I have found that, for instance, GF claim the GF-06M fits a Selmer mouthpiece, but it doesn't really.

Alos, FWIW, I didn't like the 'Maxima' version - too fussy.
Thanks Dave! very helpful

1 - 10 of 10 Posts