Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm playing reed 3 for a production of Kiss Me Kate. This book includes Flute, Clarinet, Oboe, English Horn, Soprano Sax, and Tenor Sax; quite a collection.

Anyone have any experience with this show?
Thanks

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Yes. If you don't play oboe you can play the stuff on soprano sax.
Then why didn't the orchestrator write it for soprano sax??

I've played the show, just not this book because I am not a double reed player. If somebody hired me for this book knowing I didn't play double reeds I would be more inclined to do it on flute. If you use the argument that oboe and Soprano Sax sound similar - then somebody is not playing them correctly. At least with a flute you are in the right key and will not have to transpose. (sorry if I seem bitter - this is just a HUGE pet peeve of mine)

The OP didn't specifically state that they didn't play the double reeds anyhow,

ansy125: What would you like to know. I have a friend who has played the book several times - I can drop him a line if I have specific questions to ask him.

Charlie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I just got done playing the 4th reed part, covering the bassoon parts on either bass clarinet or baritone. There are some nice swing sections where 3rd reed really gets to blow. I didn't find the music particularly hard — there are the usual sections with a zillion flats or sharps but the melodic lines aren't complicated and you'll be playing them almost by ear once you've got the tune in your head. The guy playing 3rd copied the angle horn and oboe parts into Finale, transposed them to Bb, played them on clarinet or tenor, and then (of course) destroyed when the show was over.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
Gotta disagree with you, Graysax. The timbre of the sop is much closer to an oboe than a flute is. It's an acceptable substitute IMO.

Of course, trumpet with straight mute is as good or better for a substitute, timbrewise, but the attacks are all wrong. Clarinet is a completely unacceptable substitute. The tone color is horribly wrong.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
When the oboe plays in show music - it is usually in a grouping with Flute and Clarinet. I just think a blend of 2 flutes and clarinet would be nicer then Flute, Sop Sax, and Clarinet. Maybe it is just that I know more "pros" that think they can play Soprano Sax and sound REAL BAD then I do guys that play in such a way not to be offensive being an oboe substitute.

Also - as a rule if somebody called me to play that book, I would usually recommend that they call one of the 3 other guys I know that do double Oboe / EH. I am really a traditionalist when it comes to Show Orchestration Doublings. I do however understand that there are times an Oboe / EH. Cannot be found.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do indeed play all the instruments it calls for in case anyone was wondering.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
I've done it many times. Not too much to comment on. Some fun stuff, some boring stuff. I would only hope that you get to play with a full reed section, which will make it even more fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts