Sax on the Web Forum banner

Kirk whalum signature series necks - available now!!

16K views 44 replies 23 participants last post by  Julius Keilwerth 
#1 ·
After many years of requests, we have worked with Kirk Whalum to present the KIRK WHALUM signature series neck for SX90R tenor saxophone.

- dual bracing
- nickel plated finish
- gold lacquer octave key

This is the exact same neck Kirk plays today, and will offer a more focused tone to your SX90R tenor in any finish.

FAQ
- This is designed for SX90R tenor only
- There is only one finish option

Contact any authorized Buffet Crampon/Julius Keilwerth dealer for pricing and delivery info.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Reed Saxophonist Brass instrument

https://www.facebook.com/KeilwerthU...0808209028833/813155348794113/?type=3&theater

See less See more
#7 ·
Is there a price tag on it?

#13 ·
It says: "These necks are great for any one looking to darken their own sound." I believed it was making the sound brighter and more focused?

#16 ·
Please dont say this is the exact same neck Kirk plays today. Unfortunately it is not the same neck. There is no neck plate on this one so sound will be different. Look at the Kirks photos. We wanted the same neck, not almost the same. Neck plate is important, should give more core... etc.

#27 ·
Dear Mirek,

You are correct that the photos you see of him are probably not the same, because they are all older photos before this new neck was released, but this IS the neck Kirk is currently using. When the first units were completed off production Kirk played them and selected one for his own to replace his old neck with the new version. I hope you'll have the chance to give it a try and judge it for yourself.

thank you,

#19 ·
This is so cool, bet this would sound splendid with a Vintage H Couf Keilwerth stencil!!!!

#20 ·
Actually FunkyHorn, I now have no more sticky keys on the Keilwerth,ha, I kid you not:mrgreen:...I used waxpaper and the stickiness went away.:whistle: So now I'm liking the Keilwerth again.:shock: I played my Keilwerth and Mark VI back to back last night again for a bunch of hours. Conclusion: I love both my Mark VI and Keilwerth, it's like having both Chocolate and Vanilla, lol:laughing:...they're both very resonant, have lot's of character to the sound:headbang:...not really sure which one would be the back up now.:dontknow:

Keilwerth makes great horns, just wish they would fix those darn sticky pads!:argue:

#21 ·
Either fix the sticky pads or include a lifetime supply of wax paper in the case. I used the liquid Campho-Phenique on a Q-tip and apply it to my pads. It takes the stickiness away for awhile but I have to reapply it at least once a month or so. I am going to try the wax paper trick next

#23 ·
I got this suggestion of doing this from another poster on here, don't remember who said to do this...I've only used the waxpaper twice, doing it the first time. I put the paper over the tone hole, closed the key down pretty hard and slid the paper thru TWICE. The stickiness has been gone now for like around 2 weeks now??

It has worked for me, give it a try. I don't like using lighter fluid, don't like the smell, especially I don't like the smell of that stuff you are using, Campho-Phenique,lol...and to answer your question, it does last the more that I play it, I've played the horn every day since using it for the past 2 weeks or so...once moisture sets in, the pads have not gotten sticky like before...they have remained stick-free so far!

Don't know if it matters, but I use the brand name...Reynolds Cut-Rite wax paper...Hope this helps you out Funky!

Hey, there's a review on Keilwerth sax's on www.shwoodwind.co.uk...it's a pretty bad review on Keilwerth's I read last night,:Rant:...I guess the person who wrote it hates Keilwerth horns,lol.:lol: Funny thing is I've had a bunch of Keilwerth's in the past, including 2 Couf's, and I never had any problems at all with the tone holes on any of them. And it seems like Kirk Whalum and Ernie Watts, among other's love their Keilwerth's as well. In fact, the most souful sound of any sax player comes from Kirk Whalum and his Keilwerth...I've seen him live several times, nobody can make the sax cry more than Kirk, and his Keilwerth!

I guess some people love Keilwerth's, and some hate them, :rolleye:...If you get time, check out that review. I couldn't read it all, it's way too long, I just skimmed over it, reading just a couple of paragraph's at the most, but the guy who wrote it had a lot to get off his chest, haha!:protest:

#25 ·
:king:No, I haven't done that/don't do that...I mean you could do that I suppose, but I haven't had a need to do that...let me go get my horn, be right back...ok, these are the pads I've had trouble with in the past...the B key/pad, Bis key, A, Eflat, and the low C# pad, these are the pads that used to stick on my horn. The left stack used to stick VERY BAD,:Rant: especially when wet, after playing awhile, but NO MORE!! :bounce:every since using the wax paper!!...the Bis key was the worst pad, until I used the wax paper on it!

Sometimes the palm keys D and F would stick, but I fixed those pads with the waxpaper.

I will say, out of habit, that I always use a dollar bill on the low C# pad, but you could also use the waxpaper also, I don't see why not...I will do that, I will substitute the dollar bill for the wax paper, and will come back and report on that, but I know that it will work just fine...Try it out Marty, and let us know how it works for you, if it worked or didn't??...Hope this helps!:salute:

#26 ·
Oh, the dollar bill thing. I have been wiping down the C#, Eb, and the chronicly sticking G# on my EX90 II (German manufacture) after playing. It helps a lot, but the g# sticks after I've played a while. If I don't dry the pads off, its like they are welded shut when I take the horn out of the case.
(Sorry forthe thread hijack, back to our original program...)

#28 ·
Here's what Julius Keilwerth artist ERNIE WATTS has to say about the new Kirk Whalum Signature Neck for SX90R Tenor:
"The bore of the neck is a perfect match for the horn, so it makes the whole horn a more cohesive unit. It also then stabilizes the pitch all over the horn. The length of the neck enables the mouthpiece to fit more securely. The length also brings down the pitch, which I like. The plating makes the sound a little brighter, which I don't usually like in a horn, but I find it also makes the sound a little clearer and more focused, which I do like. I also appreciate the excellent craftsmanship I see in the neck; it's made very well. I like the way this neck feels, and plan to keep using it on my horn."

#30 ·
I tried this neck on the SX90R they had at the Navy International Saxophone Symposium in Virginia in January. I thought it made the sound more focused and more resistant. I liked the stock neck better on the demo horn they had at the show because it was more free blowing. However, I tested it in a loud room with poor acoustics. I would love to try it again in a more appropriate setting.

#32 ·
Anyone else playing on one of these or have tried them? Would love to try one but in the midwest here and dont even know of anyone or anyplace that carriers them. They have been out for a while now. Certainly someone must have more feedback on these? How can we get one if we dont even know where they are available or we dont see much feedback on them? Sound clip comparisons? Anyone?

#33 ·
WOW! When I spoke with Kirk a few years ago and asked him about his neck he told me it was the original neck but the lacquer just came off and he had the braces put on to keep the neck from bending.