Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of requests, we have worked with Kirk Whalum to present the KIRK WHALUM signature series neck for SX90R tenor saxophone.

- dual bracing
- nickel plated finish
- gold lacquer octave key

This is the exact same neck Kirk plays today, and will offer a more focused tone to your SX90R tenor in any finish.

FAQ
- This is designed for SX90R tenor only
- There is only one finish option

Contact any authorized Buffet Crampon/Julius Keilwerth dealer for pricing and delivery info.

View attachment 74793

https://www.facebook.com/KeilwerthU...0808209028833/813155348794113/?type=3&theater

·
SOTW Sleuth
231 Posts
Interesting...always thought his neck was solid silver or at least silver plated. I'm sure these will get a lot of interest! Thanks

·
Registered
838 Posts
Are the new necks pulled down then bent back up before adding the extra support braces like Kirk's was? I heard that's why his plays so well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,198 Posts
Are the new necks pulled down then bent back up before adding the extra support braces like Kirk's was? I heard that's why his plays so well.
where did you hear that?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
:lol:I said to myself, I'm done buying stuff for saxophones, and no more saxes!...Period, I'm done!...I'm very much into keyboards, so I've got to buy just 1 more keyboard, have 2 already...but looks like might have to buy this neck, and than I'm done,lol.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,245 Posts
Is there a price tag on it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,198 Posts
Sure looks pretty.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
A competent tech. can modify any neck with various types of bracing-- done a few things myself like this over the years --wish i'd took photo's but, nobody did back then!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Really nice looking neck. I wonder if I would be able to have the octave key mech taken off of my current neck on my shadow and have it put on one of these instead of the gold one

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,245 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It says: "These necks are great for any one looking to darken their own sound." I believed it was making the sound brighter and more focused?
I try to be careful using "brighter or darker" as it often tends to be relative to the player / mouthpiece / prefereces / etc... However I do feel the sound has more focus with this neck. But again, it is best to evaluate for yourself as personal responses may vary based on your set up.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Any chance we'll see these for alto? It would, look sweet on my clear-nickel finish SX-90R alto.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please dont say this is the exact same neck Kirk plays today. Unfortunately it is not the same neck. There is no neck plate on this one so sound will be different. Look at the Kirks photos. We wanted the same neck, not almost the same. Neck plate is important, should give more core... etc.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Unfortunately this new neck will have to be put on hold purchasing it for quite some time now, :badgrin:as my main horn now is my Mark VI:cheers:...Keilwerth got booted to backup!:crybaby:

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is so cool, bet this would sound splendid with a Vintage H Couf Keilwerth stencil!!!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Actually FunkyHorn, I now have no more sticky keys on the Keilwerth,ha, I kid you not:mrgreen:...I used waxpaper and the stickiness went away.:whistle: So now I'm liking the Keilwerth again.:shock: I played my Keilwerth and Mark VI back to back last night again for a bunch of hours. Conclusion: I love both my Mark VI and Keilwerth, it's like having both Chocolate and Vanilla, lol:laughing:...they're both very resonant, have lot's of character to the sound:headbang:...not really sure which one would be the back up now.:dontknow:

Keilwerth makes great horns, just wish they would fix those darn sticky pads!:argue:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts