Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out this video:

It's clearly visible around 6:30.

Seems like Kirk Whalum's got a new saxophone. Looks like he's using a Vintage SX90R. I hope Keilwerth at least gave him this one considering how faithful of a Keilwerth endorser he is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,685 Posts
... with the "Kirk Whalum" neck brace(s).

More video at
- see t=4:40.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yep.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
So right on and in a very cool way, Kirk Whalem got his sop and alto players in the monitors with soundmen, in Dr G's link to video.
They could have played a whole set without hearing themselves.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
He has got the same JK that I have :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
He has got the same JK that I have :)
Mind if I ask for the materials and finish of this horn? Is this available also in alto?

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's brass that has an antique look too it, hence the name vintage. After the brass is aged it has a clear lacquer over it. Each sax is very unique in looks. One of my best friends picked one up several months ago and really loves it. Ive played it as well. Very nice sounding horn. Very full and rich sounding as typical with most of the Keilwerths. Not sure if it is available in alto as well, but most of their line is available in alto as well as tenor.

Forget to mention that the keys are matte silver finish

·
Registered
379 Posts
Check out this video from Marcus Miller. This was posted Father's Day weekend. You'll clearly see Kirk Whalum's set up. This is truly an outstanding piece of music. By the way my Viking M58S w/RTH is set up in the same color configuration as the JK Kirk is playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
Mind if I ask for the materials and finish of this horn? Is this available also in alto?
It is made of brass. It has clear lacquer, and it has become darker the years I have had it. I tested several JK tenors for 2-3 years before I found mine. I thought I would choose a JK Shadow, but after testing I liked this one much better. I bought it from Howarth Of London, they had two very, very nice JK tenors: the one I bought and one to which was a special model with even darker finish. To me, it was not the finish that was important, but how it plays and how it fits in my hands.

Keilwerth also make the alto in this finish, buy I have not played it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
he's been playing a vandoren v16 t8 i believe for the past few years.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I just seen the news about the switch . I’m surprised !

·
Registered
841 Posts
He did that some years back when he was playing a Guardala Sax and even recorded one of his CD's with it. Few years later, I saw him back on his trusty old Keilwerth. Who knows?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts