Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend at work has a Zephyr tenor that his father used to play that he wants to sell as it is not being played. He would like to know what it is worth.

I took a look at the horn and it is in pretty good condition. No dents, just some lacquer wear on some of the palm keys and lower side keys plus some minor oxidation on the low Bb key cup, as shown the photos linked below. It has a double neck socket and 3 ring strap hook. I played it a bit and the only issue I detected was one of the notes below low D was a bit difficult to play. He had the horn worked on recently so it should just be a minor adjustment.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ku8UbFgbnunjyijw6

I haven't been following Kings much myself, so was wondering how much this would be worth. The serial number is 229XXX which puts it at around 1939. It comes with the original case also in pretty good condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Oooh, that's a pretty horn...if it were mine and the pads were in decent shape, I wouldn't sell it for less than $2000.
I too have bought a number of Zephyrs but I've sold few. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I was thinking around $1500 so not far off I guess. I will let him know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,594 Posts
I use to have a Tenor Zephyr IV, doble socket neck, single ring. Sold and repented of that.
Tonight I have been lucky to find a nice Model III (1946) for 845 U$. Assuming that I will give it an overhaul... it could cost me 500-600U$ more, cause I have a Sax Doc who do it for me at home, charging privately and not over the store he works for.
Can go happy to bed tonight :sleepy2:

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I use to have a Tenor Zephyr IV, doble socket neck, single ring. Sold and repented of that.
Tonight I have been lucky to find a nice Model III (1946) for 845 U$. Assuming that I will give it an overhaul... it could cost me 500-600U$ more, cause I have a Sax Doc who do it for me at home, charging privately and not over the store he works for.
Can go happy to bed tonight :sleepy2:
Thats a very good price. I love those late 40's Zephyrs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts