Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, any suggestions for a mouthpiece and reed for tenor Zephyr silver plated '41 model with US engraving ? I would like to warm the sax tone...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,826 Posts
There are simply too many variables involved in a question like this, the most important of which is you, the player, let alone the fact that “ bright” or “ warm” are relative and personal concepts.

I have owned and played Zephyrs of this vintage. The fact that it is silver plated is totally immaterial when it comes to sound. But of course there are plenty of folks out there that say both things , some say silver is bright and some say silver is warm and some say that it is dull (a girl once came to my house to test a Mark VI and she literally said that she could “ feel” the thickness of the few microns of silver plate under her fingers!).

I play a 1970 Super 20 with a mouthpiece that most would call bright ( Brancher J27 ) and get plenty of dark sound.

Anyway, you will receive tons of recommendations and get a long list of names and in the end you still will have to try what works for you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sigmund, I will try . Probably milandro is right , the variables are too many no last the feel and taste that is absolutely personal , but I have to start from a point suggested from who had exeperiences in that matter and after I will can search to consolidte from that...I hope

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had an HR link from a friend to test but it is 8* and I am able to use only a soft reed (2 V blu) , anyway the sound seems more for me.I will work in that direction.Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Thanks Sigmund, I will try . Probably milandro is right , the variables are too many no last the feel and taste that is absolutely personal , but I have to start from a point suggested from who had exeperiences in that matter and after I will can search to consolidte from that...I hope
I played for many years with a guy who got a wonderful tone with a metal Berg Larsen on a Zephyr. Goes to show that you never can tell what will work for you unless you already have experience with what will work for you.

In my case I would play that horn with the same MP that's been my primary tenor MP since 1978: a hard rubber Meyer #8 (with #2.5 Vandoren reeds). In general, I think the Meyer will be just a touch brighter (whatever that means) than a HR Link of similar facing.

If you want to scream rock and roll on that thing, I bet a Dukoff D7 will blow the doors down.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used in the past an HR 7M Mayer on alto Yani and it resulted good for any kind of music played , also for classic style , an all-around MP, it could be the same also for the King....I do not know ....About the metl Berg of the guy nominated , probably the human factor was preponderant in the sound obtained. Who already has an own sound defined , he is able to transmit that in every MP used. Unfortunatly I have not it yet , I am working for this . My goal will be to use the tenor for standard jazz style

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
If you want to extract the true character of the King, I would recommend a hard rubber Link, Meyer, or either a white or black Brilhart. It will sound WONDERFUL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts