Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm hoping to sell this tenor saxophone that I've had for a few years. Now that I'm leaving high school, I'd rather sell it and have it go to a loving home instead of have it sit around in a closet like it has in the past. :)

It's a King Zephyr saxophone with the serial number 269353. Not sure the exact year or model, and I'm looking to see what it may be worth. It has some wear and tear (previous owner wasn't as careful with it as I was apparently). There is some lacquer rubbed off in places, especially near the bell..probably from rubbing up against a leg? It has been re-corked and re-padded in the past 1-2 years. It also has a (original?) mouthpiece that was in the case when I received it (the brown one...I'm not sure what sort of mouthpiece it is)

Note: I thought I posted this last night, but I don't believe it went through correctly? I apologize if it pops up again! I'll be sure to delete any unnecessary posts :mrgreen:

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's from the desirable era of Zephyrs, with double socket neck and 3 ring strap hook. You went through high school with a very good horn! If you're not going to play any longer, PLEASE don't stick it in a closet! There are serial number charts online you can use to look up the exact year of manufacture, but that's not too important. As far as value, a good setup and playability is more important than physical appearance (as long as there are no major dents or neck pull down.) If it's leak-free with all new pads, I'd guess value in the $1500 range.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Administrator note:

Corythaix,

You can ask for a valuation, but under no uncertain terms can it be sold on this forum. We have a policy that requires new members to have an an account for a minimum of six months, and have at least fifty posts. When these requirements are met, access to the restricted MARKETPLACE sub forum is granted.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
That's from the desirable era of Zephyrs, with double socket neck and 3 ring strap hook. You went through high school with a very good horn! If you're not going to play any longer, PLEASE don't stick it in a closet! There are serial number charts online you can use to look up the exact year of manufacture, but that's not too important. As far as value, a good setup and playability is more important than physical appearance (as long as there are no major dents or neck pull down.) If it's leak-free with all new pads, I'd guess value in the $1500 range.
Of the Zephyrs, I always much preferred the later ones with triangular bell to body brace and S20 styled guards.
But both eras are nice horns if you have a strong left pinky to cope with that heavy C#.
Valuations here seem a bit generous to me unless in top condition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts