Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm faced with a problem. I'm looking at three great horns that I want to buy, but I can only get one. They are online, so I have to buy it to try it but there are returns. The first horn is a 196*** silver plated King zephyr in almost perfect condition for $1600. The second is a conn 6m vii with 80% original lacquer for $1650. There is also a transitional 1934 6m with id say 60% original lacquer for $1400. There is also a gold plated Chu with the mountain lake scene and a silver plated with gold inside both for $1500. Lastly, a conn new wonder full nude for $1750. Which one should I go for? I want to get one right away so I the cheaper the better. Should I get the trans 6m even though it looks worn(all of these are overhauls and are from sax quest and vintagesax . Com) or wait longer to get the pretty one. This would be the first vintage sax I would buy so I have no experience or knowledge on which is the superior horn. SOTW users, please help!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,203 Posts
Get out your decision making coin, and give it a few tosses.

Or...

Call the shops and discuss the horns, then make an informed choice. See if you can narrow it down to two horns from one shop, and get both horns on approval. Play those and make YOUR choice.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,123 Posts
That's 5 horns, by my count.

...all of these are overhauls and are from sax quest and vintagesax . Com..
Very wise of you to use one of those dealers! I'd call Gayle at vintagesax and talk to her about the horns you are looking at there (and maybe do the same at saxquest). I've dealt with Gayle in the past and she is very honest, mostly only deals in the better horns and puts them into top playing condition (or if not, gives you an honest appraisal of the condition). With the return policy it's hard to go wrong.

All altos, right? I bet you'd be fine with any of them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,871 Posts
Hello. I'm faced with a problem. I'm looking at three great horns that I want to buy, but I can only get one. They are online, so I have to buy it to try it but there are returns. The first horn is a 196*** silver plated King zephyr in almost perfect condition for $1600. The second is a conn 6m vii with 80% original lacquer for $1650. There is also a transitional 1934 6m with id say 60% original lacquer for $1400. There is also a gold plated Chu with the mountain lake scene and a silver plated with gold inside both for $1500. Lastly, a conn new wonder full nude for $1750. Which one should I go for? I want to get one right away so I the cheaper the better. Should I get the trans 6m even though it looks worn(all of these are overhauls and are from sax quest and vintagesax . Com) or wait longer to get the pretty one. This would be the first vintage sax I would buy so I have no experience or knowledge on which is the superior horn. SOTW users, please help!
Why do you post two separate threads with the same question?

·
33,203 Posts
196*** silver plated King zephyr in almost perfect condition for $1600.

conn 6m vii with 80% original lacquer for $1650.

transitional 1934 6m with id say 60% original lacquer for $1400.

gold plated Chu with the mountain lake scene and a silver plated with gold inside both for $1500.

conn new wonder full nude for $1750.

Which one should I go for?
Give us the links if you want better evaluations, else you're just going to poll favorite horns.

How much does "pretty" matter?

What sound are you going for?

Have you checked PM Woodwind? http://pmwoodwind.com/instruments.cfm?categoryid=3

Hah, while you're at it, consider this horn too! http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?224337

·
33,203 Posts
Get a Buescher - intonation, tone, action... :twisted:

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,123 Posts
Get a Buescher - intonation, tone, action... :twisted:
I wasn't going say it, even though I wanted to. Now that the Dr has.....+1. Especially if you're getting it from Gayle at vintagesax (she's an expert on Bueschers and usually has a lot of very nice ones).

·
33,203 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Assuming that you don't live close enough to a store that stocks lots of saxophones that you can try, I would recommend figuring out what it is that you are looking for in a new horn (what sound you are going for, ergonomics, how much you value appearance, what other horns you have played and your thoughts on them, etc), choose a dealer, then work with them to find the right horn for you. Another option (as suggested above) would be to choose a dealer that has two or three horns that you are interested in in stock and see if you can get them to send you them on trial.

Good luck.

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,198 Posts
For alto, I would go the Buescher route as well. I have a Zephyr alto, also silver plated, from that range. Intonation is challenging at best, and near impossible with modern styled mouthpieces. It's overpriced to boot. But with the horns given, I go with the 6m; though most vintage horns over sixty years old that are advertised with original lacquer, rarely have it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,099 Posts
My two alto's are a Big B, and and a NWII Conn...(I settled on them after a number of years of buying, selling, and trading a bunch of altos) Between the two - It's a toss up, so I play them both equally. They are both great instruments but the tone is quite different. The Big B seems more focused. The Conn - more spread. If I had to cut through a mix without amplification, I'd bring the Buescher, but if I were tracking a rock tune, I'd play the CHU. (actually I'd play a tenor but that's a whole different story) Ergonomically both are manageable. I wouldn't buy the Zeph....

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a Zephyr alto and tenor. I have ever wanted another tenor . . It was overhauled by Bill Street, and he also loved that horn. Intonation is fine and sound is terrific for me. On alto I am promiscuous and play the Zephyr or Conn NW II or one of myMartins. I rarely play the Beuscher Aristocrat, and am selling my Beuscher 400. I find the LH pinky table awkward on Beuschers, the angle is high which requires more of a punching motion. Fine for individual notes but harder to roll from note note for me. I find that intonation issues on these horns are quickly forgotten as you adjust quickly. But I agree thattheZephyr is fussier about mouthpieces than the Conns or Beuschers. But with the right mouthpiece intonation is fine and sound is great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts