Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1950 King Zephyr tenor sax, which came from the Portland,OR area, and I discovered some names finely engraved on the large key guard: Richard Louis and Lee Frick II (?). I did some searching and found out that Alexander "Lee" Frick, a famous pianist was from the Portland area, so I'm thinking he might have some connection to this sax.
Perhaps Richard Louis and Lee Frick played together a couple of times?
Does anybody from that part of the country know any more about these two people, and possibly the provenance of this sax?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's some information about Lee Frick: https://obits.oregonlive.com/obituaries/oregon/obituary.aspx?n=alexander-lee-frick&pid=18191347

And some comments from a former classmate:
RE: "Lee Frick" name engraved on my tenor sax
"I am sorry I can not help you. All I know is that Lee did play alto saxophone with me in High School band back in 1970. However, he played lots of wind instruments. I have not been in contact with him since HS. I just happened to see he had passed away when I was doing genealogy research on my own tree. I wish I could help you more. As to Richard Louis, sorry I do not know anything about him. I did not follow the path of music as Lee did. He did quite well too.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Looking at that chicken scratching,... "finely engraved" is being very generous. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

A Google search on his name produced this book on Amazon:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1G6DyqeAyo3DOoc78il1F8

"Richard Louis Leebrick II is an actor, director, playwright, poet, mystified father, awestruck grandfather and teacher/mentor to several generations of middle school students in Eugene, Oregon where he lives off and on at any given time with an assortment of strays, both animal and human. He considers himself blessed. PeggySioux is his story."

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at that chicken scratching,... "finely engraved" is being very generous. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

A Google search on his name produced this book on Amazon:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1G6DyqeAyo3DOoc78il1F8

"Richard Louis Leebrick II is an actor, director, playwright, poet, mystified father, awestruck grandfather and teacher/mentor to several generations of middle school students in Eugene, Oregon where he lives off and on at any given time with an assortment of strays, both animal and human. He considers himself blessed. PeggySioux is his story."
Thanks for that!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,787 Posts
I think the Mr. Leebrick may still be alive, apparently , as noted above, he lives in Eugene OR and indeed has published books even recently, so you may be able to find his phone number and you can give him a call talk about the old sax:bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,964 Posts
"Richard Louis Leebrick II is an actor, director, playwright, poet, mystified father, awestruck grandfather and teacher/mentor to several generations of middle school students in Eugene, Oregon where he lives off and on at any given time with an assortment of strays, both animal and human.."
… who had his beloved tenor saxophone stolen in 1973.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,787 Posts
I can her the phone being placed on the hook

·
Registered
Conn New Wonder 1 Alto & Conn 10M Tenor
174 Posts
🙂

JFYI some states have possession of stolen property laws.
Yeah you didn't know it was possibly stolen when you aquired it. But now that you know it might be stolen and you continue to keep it without making a reasonable attempt to return it to the owner.... you could be charged if they ever caught you.

Good luck! 😉

·
Registered
Conn New Wonder 1 Alto & Conn 10M Tenor
174 Posts
I was only teasing above. But if the horn had ever been stolen, you'd figure they'd have scratched the name off.
Thought so, just playing along with it. That's why put the smiley faces there. 🙂

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
If you want to and are able to contact him, it might be fun to learn more about the sax and what he did. I have a few instruments which could've had an interesting history.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts