Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have got a King Zephyr doubke socket tenor neck, which looks like it has been repaired and didn't keep its correct shape, as the mouthpiece isn't at 90° from the body line of the saxophone, but a little bit toward the lower side.

I'd like to know if the shape is as it should be or need a repair in order to be correct

Any help is much appreciated

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Looks normal to me.

I also don't see anything (like resoldered joints at the brace, or wrinkles in the tube) to indicate that it's been significantly deformed.

Older horns often have a different angle to the neck than new ones. Especially tenors often have an angle more like this than the current Selmer-copy style. Look at old Conn tenors or Bueschers as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
Loks like the ones I had in my possession and normal

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did some comparison with other neck angle, a Mark VI, a Ponzol and a King Silversonic, which are quite different than this one. All the other necks have a different shape and different angle (mouthpiece more up), but I don't have any other Zephyr neck to compare, nor older american ones

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
King necks and in general American but also German saxophone necks are arched in a significant way compared to French saxophone school.

The shape of the Zephyr neck, if memory serves, was also altered in his run.

I don’t have a picture of the zephyr neck myself but what I find on line confirms my impression that the neck in your possession is the way it should.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts