Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’ve come across an early model King fixed neck zeyphr. Would anyone know the value of this type of sax and around how much a re-pad/ overhaul might run?
Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wood Wind instrument
Hand Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,372 Posts
The overhaul would likely run north of $1500 and the value in terms of a sale afterward would be well less.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,895 Posts
although perhaps possible to find someone in the US living not in main cities, overhauling this for less, indeed its resale value is rather not so high as a Zephyr with removable neck.

Not only they are very difficult to clean but also the player is obliged to a certain playing position without the benefit of the neck being adjustable. Intonation of early baritones is also not to everyone’s taste.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,880 Posts
Hello I’ve come across an early model King fixed neck zeyphr. Would anyone know the value of this type of sax and around how much a re-pad/ overhaul might run? View attachment 112462 View attachment 112463
Hello and welcome to SOTW. DIY is the way to go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was not aware they made these with fixed necks. What would be the benefit of doing that?

Also, a playable Zephyr Bari with a removable neck usually runs around $800 from what I've seen. An overhaul would be more, as the others said.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,895 Posts
Olxder baritones were often made with fixed neck and there was no benefit since after the ’20 all baritones more or less had removable necks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,015 Posts
Hello and welcome to SOTW. DIY is the way to go.
But a DIY when the first horn you are gonna attempt is a neglected Baritone with a fixed neck ?

Pretty brave endeavor, eh ? :sneaky:

I am also puzzled....does it read Zephyr on the bell ??? The serial # places it at 1925-6.

Zeph models came after Voll True and Voll True II's....no Zephs have serial #'s that low.....if it were a Zeph, by the time they supplanted the VT-II, I would have assumed that fixed necks were a thing of the past...I am surprised to hear of a Zeph model with this 'feature'.

Which is why I asked, does it read Zephyr ?

@Jagrald10 ....the cheapest you would be able to spend on getting this horn worked up would be $750-800....which is what I would charge simply because I am a sucker for bringing back old horns, regardless of how practical it would be or not.
I am not going out on a limb, however, to state that should you bring that to a tech, or two, or four, all of them would give you an estimate of significantly more (as in $1100-1500)...and probably they'd suggest you not do it.

At best, as noted above, an old KIng Zeph with a removable neck is worth around $1100, refurbished. Yes, less if not refurbished and perhaps 'playable'.

This sax, even overhauled, will never have a market value of over $1000.

But it might be a nice playing horn if you could live with the fixed neck. It IS keyed all the way up to high F....(no front F, however, and possibly one cannot be added (or maybe it can be).

Also, I hope it has its case ? Because finding a case for a fixed neck Baritone, nowadays ? Not likely.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,880 Posts
But a DIY when the first horn you are gonna attempt is a neglected Baritone with a fixed neck ?

Pretty brave endeavor, eh ? :sneaky:

I am also puzzled....does it read Zephyr on the bell ??? The serial # places it at 1925-6.

Zeph models came after Voll True and Voll True II's....no Zephs have serial #'s that low.....if it were a Zeph, by the time they supplanted the VT-II, I would have assumed that fixed necks were a thing of the past...I am surprised to hear of a Zeph model with this 'feature'.

Which is why I asked, does it read Zephyr ?

@Jagrald10 ....the cheapest you would be able to spend on getting this horn worked up would be $750-800....which is what I would charge simply because I am a sucker for bringing back old horns, regardless of how practical it would be or not.
I am not going out on a limb, however, to state that should you bring that to a tech, or two, or four, all of them would give you an estimate of significantly more (as in $1100-1500)...and probably they'd suggest you not do it.

At best, as noted above, an old KIng Zeph with a removable neck is worth around $1100, refurbished. Yes, less if not refurbished and perhaps 'playable'.

This sax, even overhauled, will never have a market value of over $1000.

But it might be a nice playing horn if you could live with the fixed neck. It IS keyed all the way up to high F....(no front F, however, and possibly one cannot be added (or maybe it can be).

Also, I hope it has its case ? Because finding a case for a fixed neck Baritone, nowadays ? Not likely.
A DIY with no mechanical experience would be insane. A DIY with some skills like the link I sent can be done. Even if you’re not completely saxophone savvy. So yeah I’ll agree with you completely…. pretty brave for a first time go.

I’m thinking this unit is about 15 or 18 years too early for a Zephyr ?
I think you underestimated your competitors. Going rate on a restoration overhaul would be closer to $1800-$2000 Maybe more.

Someone only needs a case if they leave the house 😉 meanwhile a stand is a good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts