Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guys new to the forum just getting back into playing after retirement I'm looking at New model saxophones and up I'm in the air about keeping the kings want opinion on how good these saxophones are. The alto is serial 320,xxx completely gone though and new pads. The tenor is serial 308,xxx and is in the shop getting new pads etc both are the same double socket neck, single ring eyebrow guards etc all original. I'm leaning towards keeping them they both are easy to play and sound great.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you like them and they are getting overhauls, then I don't see why you would need any other saxophone to start playing.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Those are premium horns. A lot of folks trade for years to work up to those. I've got a 615 and 613, so I know I'd be content with yours.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
Fantastic horns with an incredible tone. Set up and maintained it is hard to beat a Zephyr, especially in that year range!

What have you got for mouthpieces? I play a Brilhart Tonalin on my alto that cannot be beat.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I cannot speak to the alto version.

My pal has a three straphole double socket tenor and I love it.

I do not bring any tenors when I go to his house to play.

It is a wonderful horn and I would be happy with it if it was my only tenor.

I like Brilharts on it, especially.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Killer pair of horns, I'd hang on to those .

I currently have a 362,xxx Zephyr tenor, and have owned my fair share of H.N. White made saxes over the years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,962 Posts
If you like them and they are getting overhauls, then I don't see why you would need any other saxophone to start playing.
Exactly. You have 2 vintage, pro models which are great horns. Quite honestly, unless you tried some really top shelf contemporary/new models, you will likely be disappointed by how a new horn stacks up against a nice, serviced Zephyr. Both of yours are in the serial # 'sweet spot' for Zephs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like I should hold on to them I need to get to the store and play some new ones so I can compare them. I recently got them the tenor is in the shop and I only have a few hours on the alto I have been playing clarinet all this time but now that I retired I wanted to start playing sax again. Mouthpieces I play a Meyer 6 and Joey jazz 5 and on tenor mostly a metal yanagisawa 5. Listen to Sanford and rollins. I guess I was just thinking of getting something new I'm better off holding on to these and buy what ever it is I'm looking for in the new department.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
My main alto is an early 1950's Zephyr. And I have a lot of horns in my hoard to choose from. Superb sounding and playing alto.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll post sound files when I get the tenor back and compare it to a newer horn that's in the mail.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
My main alto is an early 1950's Zephyr.
Ditto. Good ergos, mouthpiece-friendly, free-blowing, and such a sweet, broad, complex tone.
Double ditto. I am subbing on lead alto right now and I had forgotten how much I love my ‘55 Zephyr. I could not put the thing down after rehearsal tonight! 🙂

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I wish I had a matched pair of Zephyr alto and tenor in good condition.

If I were you I wouldn't even bother trying out "modern" instruments. Those are lifetime saxophones there. Put a Brilhart Tonalin or Ebolin on each of those and you'll never want to stop playing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts