Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently pick up a 1938 King Zephyr Alto, in brass. The key work appears to be silver /silver plate since it shows some black tarnishing. It has a double tenon type neck in brass and triple strap hook.

Any info on this model? It seems to be an intermediate version between the all lacquer brass and the "Special". There are several small adjusting screws on the keys like G# and low B/Bb linkages. I have not had a chance to give it a good going over yet.

Also estimated value.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's likely your horn was originally all silver plated, and then at some point the body was stripped and lacquered. While that might seem like a silly thing to do from a modern perspective, in the 1950s and 60s the two-tone look was the "latest fashion," and silver plate was considered dated. Many horns received this treatment when they were overhauled then to give them an "updated" or "new" look. I have a 1932 Conn that suffered this fate. I am not aware of any "intermediate" version between the Zephyr and the Special. The older versions of the Zephyr with the socket neck and triple strap hook seem to be the most desirable Zephyrs. I haven't paid close attention to Zephyr prices lately, but a rough estimate would be in the $300 to $1,000 range depending on how much work it needs.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I am not aware of any "intermediate" version between the Zephyr and the Special. The older versions of the Zephyr with the socket neck and triple strap hook seem to be the most desirable Zephyrs.
That range does seem the most collectable, though I've read in other threads that Zephyrs up to at least the early-mid 50s play just as sweetly, and are very close tonally to early Super 20s. If that is a missing link Zephyr you have there, farmer mike, I'd love to see pics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts