Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have been looking at an old King tenor that is supposedly a stencil or import of a kolhert model tenor, making it EARLY 1900s s/n 38xxx. Does anyone know much about these horns? Do they play well, are they worth much? ANY info would be great. Thanks!
Andrew

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah, thats what i thought....
Thanks anyway! Maybe I'll just get it and try it for myself, if they price is right.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,147 Posts
Start at Saxgourmet as they may have a link to something. I do remember something about H.N.White importing some horns early on. Now there are some other possibilities. Are you really sure it is that old? A photo would help. In the 1980s Danny Henkin owned King and stenciled some Conn horns DJH that were from Keiwerth. Keilwerth made a horn called "The New King" in the 50s and 60s. I really doubt that White used the King name that early on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
because of the model number, i read stuff on king and they supposedly didn't make C's that early, but i am also way in over my head so you could very well be right.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
GASP! Off-topic, but I was wandering around looking for the King sub-forum today and it dawned on me, KING DOESN'T HAVE ITS OWN SUB-FORUM? WHAT? THIS IS A SAX WEBSITE WITH SUB-FORUMS FOR ALL THE FAMOUS VINTAGE AND CURRENT PRO MAKERS? WHY IS SML UP THERE BY ITSELF AND YET KING OF ALL MAKERS IS STUFFED IN HERE WITH ALL THE "OTHER A-M" RIFFRAFF!?!

Pardon .... had to get that off my chest....

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Yep, it is. Looks to be in good condition too, for its age.

Though there's usually more than one giveaway whether a horn is a c-mel or tenor, you can always count on the location of the high-F tonehole. If it's snug against the bottom of the neck receiver socket, you've got a c-mel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the tip, ive been having trouble telling the difference jsut from a few pics. guess ill let this one go, alredy got a C to play with. thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
38xxx is well past the Kohlert connexion. Take a look at the saxpics site for further info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts