Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what are the pros and cons of each horn and if they were similar prices and conditions which one would you buy and why.

Ps I am speaking about alto saxophones in this post

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,661 Posts
They are on opposite ends of the Spectrum honestly. What type of music are you trying to play?

Both are good horns in many ways. The Z's are what they are...you either love them or you hate them. You can go play one at most local music stores and get an idea of how they play for you. They are fairly easy to find used for $2000-$2500.

The S20's vary depending on which series you get. The series 1 and 2 are hailed as the best and are also around 5K or more. the Series 3 and 4 are also good according to most and are less. You also have the Silver Sonic option on all/most of the series, although finding an early full pearls silver sonic will cost you a fortune. Then once you've narrowed down which S20 you want you have to still find it and then possibly get it overhauled etc.

I know if I were looking for one of the 2 it would be a S20, but that may not be the right horn for you. I'd go play each. They are just SOOO different.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
Very different horns.
Also, Kings super 20s vary in characteristics from vintage to vintage.

I have owned two Super 20 altos and tenors and have played many other examples.
In general, the Kings have a richer sound than any other saxophone I've owned. They also have more power at your command, but like a fighter aircraft, they are unstable (in pitch) and require control by the player, as opposed to Conns, Selmers, Yanagisawas and Yamahas that have a more even scale. I find the octaves are wider on Kings, particularly the altos.

Also, in order for Kings to play their best, they must have small - flat resos and proper key heights.

On the flip side, the new Yamaha custom Z is quite easy to play. Both Phil Woods and Jerry Dodgion have switched to the Yamaha after decades of blowing Selmers. They are both over 80-years-old and find the Yamaha to be less resistant than the Selmer.

If I were to compare Super 20 to Yamaha, I'd say that the Sound of the Super 20 is unbeatable but the ease-of-play and scale on the Yamaha is superior. Also, the King is not as road-worthy as the Yamaha and a King tech is difficult to find.

Anyway, more on this later. I must go find a reed for tonight's gig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,544 Posts
Very well said!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I am curious as to why a super 20 needs small flat resos to play best. I am currently having the original small rivets on my super 20 replaced with standard size resotech silver flat resos. Modern standard size resos are larger than the ones original to the king. I have demoed a king with standard size plastic resos and it was a beast. No intonation issues and a huge sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,905 Posts
My s20 only has a slightly flat a1 issue (it's a series 2), with normal plastic dome resos.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,689 Posts
I'm just wondering what are the pros and cons of each horn and if they were similar prices and conditions which one would you buy and why.

Ps I am speaking about alto saxophones in this post
If you have to ask, the Yamaha is likely the better choice for you.

Get solid on the Yamaha, and then if you are still interested in vintage horns, give some a try to see if they fit your needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts