Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I have recently acquired a nice condition series 2 Alto sax. Only thing is it has a later double socket brass neck not silver. I am therefore considering getting a replacement Gloger or similar neck.

Before I can do this, I need to accurately know the distance between the octave hole centre to the very end of the neck ( cork end )

I have done some research and there are a couple of different measurements depending on series?

Thanks, Charlie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,414 Posts
It is possible for a Super 20 to have a brass neck unless it has a silver bell, and the double-socket necks were early, not late. Toward the end they went to a standard-type neck tenon arrangement.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I can measure my Series 2 neck in a few days if you still need it. But if you're considering Gloger, I strongly suggest checking out the excellent reproduction King necks that Mike Barnes is making: http://saxstuff.co.uk/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am guessing that a series 2 neck would have a serial number? The brass neck I have doesn't have this. Thanks Istrument Attic for the info, I'll look into this. If you could measure your series 2 neck that woukd be great, thank you.

Regards, Charlie.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't think that S20 necks, or any King necks I've seen, had serial numbers engraved on them. Many other manufacturers did, but never King.

Well, OK mine does, but it's because whatever school used to own this tenor thought that a big, ugly catalogue number engraved with a dull icepick would help accentuate the solid silver.:cussing:

I also wanted to second the motion that Mike Barnes is a good guy for Super 20 parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts