Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Not sure if this is the right board to post my questions on (it probably isnt).

When I was in high school my folks bought me a King Super 20 alto sax (Serial 439xxx) for something like $1500 +tax.

I stopped playing when I went to universty and have just now picked it up again and was wondering about the value of it and whether we got much of a deal or not.

I've read a bit on the line and it sounds like the closer you get to 500xxx serial numbers the lower the quality of the horns becomes, 439xxx is pretty close :(

To make matters more akward the horn is in pretty terrible "looking shape". Which is to say it looks like a rusty piece of crap and it always has since i bought it. My music teacher recommended it as an amazing horn as long as I didn't mind the fact that it looked like an antique. I'm fine with that, but given the look of the horn and the serial no. I'm curious as to whether we really got much of a deal or not, and if I'd ever be able to recoup any of that investment.

I was advised against having it "lacquered" to clean up the look because it would interfere with the sound - is that still good advice?

The pads were replaced shortly before I stopped playing. But there's one pad or something missing, I had to put some masking tape on it to get certain things to work properly.

I can take a photo later if it would help people add comments (guestimates of value, comments on whether lacquer would be good or not, etc). I was a little disheartened to learn that while certain Super 20's are great horns, when you move into the 300-500k serial numbers they aren't really anything special (and my horn falls in that range :( )

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's really hard for me to tell. I don't have any basis for comparison, and am never sure how much of what comes out is me and how much is the horn.

I will say that certain notes are tough to play, but i suspect its me (D, low C) and overall I find it very hard to not play loud. Playing softly seems to actually take more breath than playing normal. Again, how much is me - the reed - the mouthpiece - the maintenance... and how much is the horn itself, i couldn't say :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts