1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
It’s probably a combination of factors, it’s an Eastlake (people are blasé about Cleveland and Eastlake), it has a brass neck, it has a small dent in the neck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any specific information at what time these horns came with brass neck?

·
38,888 Posts
yes, they came both with brass and with silver, it was an option. This being slightly cheaper.

You could get Selmers with or without engraving (always) to save a few shekels. People back then were a lot thriftier.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Milandro, i was not aware, that this has always been an option in S20.

·
38,888 Posts
this and other such as these horns are affected by the fact that they are items especially directed to a collector’s market.

Collector’s are picky when it comes to anything that may disturb them.

Blemishes of any kins and lack of more expensive options would affect this negatively, in fact you can offer less but chances are that the seller would stick to its guns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
The horn is appealing to me and has a great look and color, but you really want the silver neck on a S20 - plus, like they say, its a late one. I think he will be hard-pressed to get $2000 for it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Having refurbished both kinds, there's nothing wrong with a bras lacquer neck Eastlake S20. They are excellent horns. So the notion that "if you get a S20, make sure it has a silver neck" is not something I agree with. It's nice...but a brass neck does not decrease the model's performance IMHO.

A neck dent can be removed by a tech for around $25usd.

My question is...1750€ = $2000usd....which isn't a great price for an Eastlake Alto even if it has been completely serviced and is guaranteed to play. One can pick up a refurbished Eastlake Tenor of the same period for around $2200-2300 here.

So, the value (at least here in US) of this sax - again assuming it is in very solid playing condition - is more like $14-1500usd = 1250€.

So if seller is willing to accept offers, the 1250€ is more realistic than his/her asking price.

But do not hesitate because the neck somehow makes it 'inferior'. I don't agree with that.

·
38,888 Posts
Perception of the buyer is everything when comes to selling and if he believes that this that or the other makes it not palatable then it would be so, for him, one only needs one buyer though, there hasn’t been one for this horn yet.

I gave the reasons why the buyers are not buying, I didn’t say they were right or wrong to do so.

The seller is open for offers.

·
38,888 Posts
this would cost in excess of €2000 (overhauled) in any shop around these parts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
Yes, BUT - as you can tell from this auction and many more if you care to look, most S20 buyers are looking for the silver neck - its a matter of fact. Its like a 'last-ditch' requirement for those who really want a Silversonic but are not about to pay that much - they dig in their heels on the silver neck. Plus, spare silver necks are very rare - most of them were destroyed during the silver and gold sellers' market in the 1980s. I feel like a S20 owner with the brass neck is always going to be thinking about the silver neck and will eventually sell/trade the horn to get one with it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Is there any specific information at what time these horns came with brass neck?
According to the information given by saxpics the silver neck became an option with the series III, at around 340.000.
Before that it always had the stirling neck and after that most customers obviously chose the option of the silver neck.
This matches my observations over the years.

So historically seen the stirling neck is connected to the roots of the classical Super 20 that evolved out of the Zephyr Spcl. (which of course always had the silver neck)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great information. I've never seen a Super 20 for less than 1500 € in germany. So for 1250 € i would by that one right away ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Great saxophones...Brass or silver won’t change the sound. If you’re looking for something awesome to play you can’t go wrong with the S20. If you’re looking for resale value, the silver neck is nice to have. Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Perception of the buyer is everything when comes to selling and if he believes that this that or the other makes it not palatable then it would be so, for him, one only needs one buyer though, there hasn’t been one for this horn yet.

I gave the reasons why the buyers are not buying, I didn’t say they were right or wrong to do so.

The seller is open for offers.
Indeed. You are probably right regarding your hypothetical reasons.

In this instance, we just have yet another instance where a common 'perception' ....is ersatz. (That perception being a brass-neck S20 is inferior, or the like).

Which is why I replied. A sterling neck may be 'cooler'...it may have more associations with the model...but beyond that, there isn't anything going for the silver that makes the horn perform any better. And plenty of S20 owners have S20's with brass necks.

The 'asking price' isn't really outrageous to begin with, particularly if one considers that typically the Buy Now is whipped up with the assumption that it is likely the horn will end up selling for less.
I typically feel that offering 15-20% below asking price = a respectable offer.

In this instance (assuming again it's in good playing shape with no significant nasties) I posit that the market value = $1500, which would be 25% below Buy Now price. Usually if I see a Buy Now w/ Best Offer but the Buy Now is 35% or more above current market value...I don't even bother, because in my view the seller has an unrealistic idea of his item's value.

This one is not quite that high over market, thus is probably worth making an offer (if you have the $ and again, if there's nothing alarming in the description).

Caveat: I am going by market values on this side of the Pond. Perhaps the market values are higher in Europe for these....

It would be interesting to know if anyone has made any offer at all....

this would cost in excess of €2000 (overhauled) in any shop around these parts
Is this one described as completely overhauled ?

Also, we know...shop prices and private seller prices are two different things....so if a private eFlay seller has the idea he can get what he saw the same model, in same condition, hanging in the window of a music shop for...he/she would be quite mistaken.

Thanks for all the great information. I've never seen a Super 20 for less than 1500 € in germany. So for 1250 € i would by that one right away ;)
Why don't you make that offer, then ? Or if you feel it is outrageously low for Germany, offer 1300€ ....worst that can happen is seller rejects it. But they might accept, or might counter with something still quite reasonable.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I made him an offer he could not resist ;) So this S20 is officially mine! Fingers crossed its really a top player as described! I`ll let you know...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts