Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Indeed it is.

At school, in the band room lies an old beaten and kicked king super 20 tenor :cry:

I passed by it a couple months ago and figured it wasn't worth it.

But I took another look at it today. Its a lacquer finish, with pearl rollers. And Its missing the D3 key, and it isn't in the case.

The pads are pretty ripped up as well.

I could probably get this thing off of the schools hands for free, since it is borken, and they wont' ever bother to try and fix it. But do you think I should even bother to try and hunt down a D3 key for a king s20 and try to fix it?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
kaplac said:
Indeed it is.

At school, in the band room lies an old beaten and kicked king super 20 tenor :cry:

I passed by it a couple months ago and figured it wasn't worth it.

But I took another look at it today. Its a lacquer finish, with pearl rollers. And Its missing the D3 key, and it isn't in the case.

The pads are pretty ripped up as well.

I could probably get this thing off of the schools hands for free, since it is borken, and they wont' ever bother to try and fix it. But do you think I should even bother to try and hunt down a D3 key for a king s20 and try to fix it?
YES!!!!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Absolutely!...and should you decide that you don't want to fix it yourself, there are probably a number of SOTW'ers (including myself) who would be glad to relieve you of the burden.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Do your saxophone civic duty and give that horn a new life and good home. It's time you stood up for something and adopt such an abused creature. You'll feel so much better about yourself :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahaha

wow, I never expected such enthusiastic responses.

Anyone have any clues as to where I can get the High D palm key for a s20? Or as Martysax puts it "the king-key" (nice joke) ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
You will have a hard time finding a replacement key. Your best bet would be to get your tech to make a key for you. Randy Jones does this sort of stuff and from the work of his I have seen - he does a great job.

A simple fix would be to find something that will do the job while you hunt for the perfect solution later.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Kaplac -

SAVE that King at all costs! With some patience and asking around, you may end up with the finest sax you will ever play!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'm not sure if this will apply to the Super 20, but often the later student models from the same company will work on the older horns. See if a local tech has an old King student horn sitting around at a parts horn, they may fit right in or require some minimal adjusting, which any competent tech can handle.
Since those King student models aren't great, you might be able to find one in a pawn shop (or craigslist or eBay) for cheap.
You might want to try putting a WTB in the Parts Wanted/For Sale on this site, too.

·
Banned
280 Posts
I say don't bother with it. :shock:

Getting a key made will be expensive, and a repad/overhaul job will run you at least $400, depending on who you take/send it to. And even then, you don't know how it will play. So the question is: are you willing to drop at least $600 on this thing on the chance that it might be a player?

I played a fine Super 20 tenor for over 30 years. I love these horns, but let's be practical. There are lots of better ways to spend that money.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Swingin' Cat said:

Getting a key made will be expensive, and a repad/overhaul job will run you at least $400, depending on who you take/send it to. And even then, you don't know how it will play. So the question is: are you willing to drop at least $600 on this thing on the chance that it might be a player?

I played a fine Super 20 tenor for over 30 years. I love these horns, but let's be practical. There are lots of better ways to spend that money.
On the contrary..where else can you get a S20 for $600? Even if he doesn't like the horn much, he could make a big profit on it.

·
Banned
280 Posts
jacobeid said:
On the contrary..where else can you get a S20 for $600? Even if he doesn't like the horn much, he could make a big profit on it.
Not necessarily. My recent experience has shown me that there really isn't much interest in these horns unless they're in near-original condition. Once a potential buyer finds out this horn is a school bandroom beater with fabricated replacement parts, I think they would pass on it. Especially since there are still just enough near-original-condition/no-or-low-damage Super 20s floating around.

Watch the auctions for Super 20s on ebay for a couple of weeks. You'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Swingin' Cat said:
Not necessarily. My recent experience has shown me that there really isn't much interest in these horns unless they're in near-original condition. Once a potential buyer finds out this horn is a school bandroom beater with fabricated replacement parts, I think they would pass on it. Especially since there are still just enough near-original-condition/no-or-low-damage Super 20s floating around.

Watch the auctions for Super 20s on ebay for a couple of weeks. You'll see what I mean.
You're right..I don't watch Super 20s sell often enough, but it seems to me that even if he put it for $1000 on ebay, multiple people would be willing to take the chance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I suspect that if its cheap enough, they will come. The fact is that no matter how crappy it looks, a Super 20 is still a Super 20. There may not be a lot of them, but there are always going to be a couple of guys searching eBay for a good horn that will be cheap. There are also some people who see bandroom beater and think project horn.

·
Forum Contributor 2007 Distinguished SOTW Member
820 Posts
Swingin' Cat said:
You can get it for free? I would say definitely bother with it. If not let me know and I will bother with it and give you the $600.00 for your trouble.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
The palm key from all generations of Zephyrs, including the very late ones, will work and these can be had for as little as $250 if you keep your eyes open. Then you can probably get $150 or $200 as a parts horn minus the palm D.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
Definately. I could do that to an old Conn Bari at my band room's closet....I don't think it's worth it though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts