Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to suggest a value for this 454 late sixties Super 20 alto? I have some more valuable earlier models with silver neck/full pearls etc, but I'm not sure what these later horns are worth. Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Woodwind instrument Music

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,924 Posts
Great players these. I would be interested in your impressions on how this one compares to your earlier ones.

I believe this is an Eastlake, yes ?

In good playing shape, needing no work....here in US, market value is around $1200-1350. I find that classic American horns in Europe tend to fetch more, however....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes , I see that a shop in Holland is asking 3500 euros for one of these. I cannot find any comparable horns on the UK e bay completed listings but maybe I need to go back further.

How it plays is an interesting question. It is difficult not to be influenced by what people say eg HN white marked horns are better than the ones that don't have the name on them. Personally I think the neck design has the biggest effect, double socket neck horns are different from single socket horns. Aside from that I'm not sure it matters whether or not it says Eastlake or Cleveland (HN White) is a factor. On the alto I find that the single socket horn has more resistance than the other and I find that I can get a more kind of hollow sounding tone on the double socket horn (315xxx)....I'm using a Hollywood Gregory so I can get closer to the Paul Desmond sound on the earlier instrument. However the modern instrument has a good tone as well, but one that has more air in it, maybe not quite so centred. I see that the excellent Perico Sambeat plays a later one on the You tube video with Pat Metheny and I doubt you could fault either his tone or technique. On tenor (I have 4 of them) the differences seem more complex and maybe there is not space here to go into it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts