Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tech just installed this articulated arm on my S20 series 4 tenor.

I'm quite impressed as I didn't even know this was an option and it sure did solve several issues. Is this a common mod? I'm thinking about having him do the same to my Balanced Action alto and S20 alto.

View attachment 244696

View attachment 244698

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I think what that is called is an "adjustable F# - G#/Bis closing mechanism. Most vintage saxes have an "arm" that extends from the F# key cup to close the G# and Bis, but the adjustment has to be made by sanding pieces of cork---not by turning an adjustment screw. Your tech did a very nice job and should be complimented for the quality of the finished mechanism.

What is typically called an "articulated G#" is where on the LH table pressing either the low B or low C# also presses down on the G# touch opening the G# key. That's what makes the F# - G# closing mechanism necessary in the first place.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
If I’m seeing what I think I’m seeing, that was standard on earlier King (S20?) tenors and altos. The adjustment screw went away in later years but the bulbous ends remained.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
My understanding is that "articulated" G# refers to the fact that the G# key opens the G# pad indirectly, the G# pad being sprung normally open. This allows the keys below the G# to close G# without requiring you to lift off the G# touch. (Contrast this to the standard flute which has two G# vent holes and you must lift off the G# touch when playing a note below G#.) I think this feature is also present in the full-Boehm clarinet, and a version of it in the Dorus G# on a few old flutes.

Unfortunately I don't know what the correct term for linking G# to low B, Bb, and C# is. I'm not aware of this feature being present on any clarinets or flutes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
indeed, this ain’t the articulation

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,948 Posts
If I’m seeing what I think I’m seeing, that was standard on earlier King (S20?) tenors and altos. The adjustment screw went away in later years but the bulbous ends remained.
I am finishing up a Zeph here, serial 29X,XXX....and indeed the screw adjusters are on it. So I'd imagine they were on S20's as well, up until some point...maybe changed with the Eastlake move ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am finishing up a Zeph here, serial 29X,XXX....and indeed the screw adjusters are on it. So I'd imagine they were on S20's as well, up until some point...maybe changed with the Eastlake move ?
My tenor is a Cleveland, albeit a late one #411xxx. I just looked at some pics of a series II tenor and it has the exact same arm that mine had before the refit.

I'm having my early S20 alto overhauled right now, it has an adjustment screw on the arm but is nearly useless. I asked him to install the same "adjustable F# - G#/Bis closing mechanism" during the overhaul.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts