Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a highschool student looking to buy a soprano sax. I've been playing tenor saxophone for 4 going on 5 years and I am looking to to play more challenging parts in my school concert band. I'm hoping to get a soprano and transpose oboe parts, I also play alot of jazz and just thought it would be useful to begin doubling on other saxes and horns. The saxophone I am lookin at is a King with the serial number 74xxx. I currently play a 1952 martin indianna tenor (that I am really fond of) and I am wondering how this horn would compare. I was thinking of getting a Martin or martin stencil soprano but that would involve a few more months of saving... Anyway my question is how do these king sopranos compare to other sopranos (like martin) and of course, to my indianna. Thanks Alot! :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I have 2 Kings, a curved and a straight. The straight one is pretty difficult to find a mouthpiece that will play the low notes. So far a Yamaha is the best. The Kings are quite good and not all that expensive. They do however have a few odd items like the G# key on the rear of the horn and a funky lever system to operate it. Still I prefer my Conn Chu soprano overall. I currently have 2 Conns, 2 Kings, 2 Martin stencils and a Buescher all from the 20s. I am keeping the King curved and one of the Conns. All are really good horns but the Conn is the winner.
Check on ebay as there is a King like the one you mention. I usually see the sopranos from the 20s going for about $500 needing everything to about $1,000 for a nice player. PM me with your price range and I can direct you to some for sale.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts